{Chapter Nineteen}

.  .  .  .  .

 The Third Class General Room was crowded and alive with music, laughter, and raucous carrying on. An ad hoc band was gathered near the upright piano, honking out lively stomping music on fiddle, accordion, bagpipes, and tambourine. People of all ages were dancing, drinking beer and wine, smoking, laughing, and even brawling.

Tommy handed Rose a pint of stout and she hoisted it. She clapped to the music and laughed as she saw two drunk men stumbling around and having a fine time. Jack, meanwhile, danced with three-year-old Cora Cartmell, or tried to, with her standing on his feet. The way he treated this girl just showed what a kind, caring, and loving person he was. As the tune ended, Jack leaned down to the little girl and pointed to Rose.

"I'm gonna dance with her now, all right?" He gave her a smile. "Don't worry, your still my best girl, Cora."

Cora scampered off.

Jack held his hand out to Rose. "C'mon."

Rose didn't get it. "What?"

"Come with me."

"But, Jack--"

She didn't get to finish because Jack grabbed her hand and pulled her onto the dance floor. They faced each other. She was trembling as he took her right hand in his left. His other hand slid to the small of her back. It was an electrifying moment.

"Jack, I can't do this."

"We're gonna have to get a little bit closer..." He pulled her in so that their torsos were pressed together. "...like this."

She didn't know whether he didn't hear her or just chose to ignore her.

"I don't know the steps."

"Just move with me. Don't think."

The music started, and they were off. A little awkward at first, but then she started to get into it. She grinned at Jack as she got the rhythm of the steps.

Jack moved them along faster. They bounced off of other dancers like it was bumper cars. Rose squealed in happiness.

"Wait...stop!"

She bent down, pulling off her high heeled shoes and flung them to Tommy. Then she grabbed Jack and they flung back into the fray, dancing faster as the music sped up.

The scene was rowdy and rollicking. A table got knocked over as a drunk crashed into it. And in the middle of it all...Jack began to do an Irish jig. Rose clapped as she watched him, then tried to mimic the dance herself. The steps were fast and she shone with sweat as she danced with Jack in her stocking feet. A space opened around them, and people watched them, clapping as the band played faster and faster.

For Fabrizio and Helga, dancing had obliviated the need for a common language. He whirled her, and then she responded by whirling him...Fabrizio's eyes widened when he realized that she was stronger than he was.

Jack saw them spinning and decided to try it for himself. He grabbed Rose by the hands and started whirling her around.

"Jack, no!"

He went faster. "WAHHH!"

"AHH! Haha!"

The tune soon ended in a mad rush. Jack stepped away from Rose with a flourish, allowing her to take a bow. Exhilarated, dizzy, and slightly tipsy, she did a graceful ballet plie. Everyone laughed and applauded. Rose was hit with the steerage folks, who had never had a lady of such high-class party with them.

They moved to a table, flushed, panting, and sweaty. Rose grabbed Fabrizio's cigarette and took a drag. She was feeling cocky. Fabrizio was grinning, holding hands with Helga.

"How you two doin'?" Jack asked.

Fabrizio shrugged. "I don't know what she say, she don't know what I say, so we get along fine."

Tommy walked up with a pint for each of them. Rose chugged hers, showing off. She turned around to see the men staring at her in shock.

"What? You think a first class girl can't drink?"

Everybody else was dancing again, and Bjorn Gundersen crashed into Tommy, who sloshed his beer all over Rose's dress. She laughed, not caring. But Tommy lunged, grabbing Bjorn and wheeling him around.

"You stupid bastard!"

Bjorn came around, his fists coming up...but Jack leaped into the middle of it, pushing them apart.

"Boys, boys! Did I ever tell you about the Swede and the Irishman goin' to the whorehouse?"

Tommy stood there, all piss and vinegar, with his chest puffed up. Then, he grinned and clapped Bjorn on the shoulder.

Rose butted in. "So, you think your big, tough men? Let's see you do this..."

She lifted the skirt of her dress and handed it to Jack. "Hold this up for me, Jack. Hold it up."

He grabbed it as the guys looked to him, confused. He just shrugged his shoulders in response.

In her stocking feet, Rose assumed a ballet stance, arms raised, an went up on point, taking her entire weight on the tips of her toes. The guys gaped at her incredible muscle control. She came back down, and then her face screwed up in pain. She grabbed one foot, hopping around.

"Ow! I haven't done that in years!"

Jack caught her as she lost her balance, holding her close, and everyone cracked up.

The door to the well deck was cracked open a few inches as Lovejoy watched through the gap. He saw Jack holding Rose, both of them laughing.

Lovejoy closed the door.

.  .  .  .  .

Lovejoy is a snake!