Everly 3 - encounters

Bắt đầu từ đầu

Walking down the street I remembered the times where our friendship was so strong I even got to know the tiniest things like those about him.

Like the fact he didn't like to eat milk with his cornflakes but preferred yogurt with them.

Or the fact that he hated when his dad made his bed with the duvet covers put in the bed frame. He wanted them to lay out because otherwise he'd feel like he was going to choke.

That he wanted his food separated from each other because he hated to eat foods mixed like that.

That he didn't trust anyone but us.

A drop of rain on my nose suddenly made me aware of my surroundings.

Looking up to the sky I saw that the clear starry sky had been the past. Dark clouds covered the sky. The rain suddenly started intensifying at an alarmingly high rate.

Then my eye fell upon a group of people gathering around a few houses down the other side of the street. They didn't seem like they belonged in this area of the city. They were dressed in, as far as I could see in the dark, ripped jeans and leather jackets. Around them hung a weird atmosphere.

I noticed I was staring at them as one turned his head and our eyes locked for a moment. I couldn't really see who it was but the look in his eyes was rather intimidating.

Shivering I put my hood on as fast as I could and quickly glanced around. Noticing I was just a few blocks down I started to run as I didn't want to be drenched even more. The group was kind of scaring me too.

For a moment all I heard was the rhythmic stomping of my feet against the wet pavement.

-

Completely out of breath I leaned against the doorway of my house. My head pounded and I felt so tired.

Almost immediately after knocking my mom opened the door.

"Everly! What happened?" She whisper yelled, her face full of concern while pulling me inside.

"I went grocery shopping and then the rain happened." I said, still gasping for air.

"Oh honey," My mom cooed. "Go shower and change and I'll make you some tea."

I smiled at my mom, thankful for her presence.

-

While I showered the thoughts from earlier came up again.

I used to be such good friends with him that he even trusted me more than anyone.

But I betrayed his trust in me. Twice.

Biting the inside of my cheek, I felt my eyes prickle already. I'm such a freaking crybaby and I hate it.

Wiping through my eyes I tried not to cry. I didn't want to cry over him again. I sighed deeply and focused on the hot water hitting my body. My headache relieved a bit from it.

-

After I showered I quietly got downstairs and found my mom sitting on the couch with a few blankets and a cup of hot tea in her hands. I saw my kitten Ricky sleeping on the other side of the couch.

She averted her gaze from the TV and smiled at me while patting the place besides her.

"C'mon, sit down Ev."

While grabbing Ricky I sat down next to her and it wasn't long before she pulled me closer so I was snuggled up against her. Lazily petting my kitten.

"Now tell me what's wrong Ev." She demanded.

Confused I looked up to her. "What? Why?"

She chuckled lightly. "I know you, honey, you behave different when somethings up, so what happened?"

I sighed, she always knew something was up.

I sank in thought to replay this evening in my head.

"I went to the movies with Cameron." I spoke up.

"Yeah, and?" She asked me, raising a brow.

"Uhm, after that we spent some time at Berry's."

"That 24/7h restaurant down the street of the movie theater?"

I nodded while continuing. "Then he wanted to bring me home but I kind of needed to clear my head so I said you'd pick me up and he got home himself. And, and then I had gone to the grocery store to buy some things."

She nodded at me, as I paused, unsure.

I stuttered a bit while speaking up again. "And I, and I kind of ran into Ryder at the store..."

A sympathetic look spread across her face while she pulled me into a hug. Her familiar smell welcoming me.

"You know that he can not blame you right?" She softly spoke.

I shrugged. Technically he could.

"He can't blame you for things you couldn't do different." She stated.

Frustrated I pushed her away a bit. Her face questioning.

"Yeah, but I could've done it different, mom."