31:

Chapter 31: 6-11-2250 210 a.d.d

**kii-ea p.ov**

I raise a mouth guard on as I walk into the small clinic. The smell of vomit and blood hitting me hard.

The room itself is lined with mainly woman. Some of whom are conscious, other who appear to be not.

Others are in body bags.

Next to most of the woman are men sitting next them, children next to their mothers, fathers, mothers, sisters all grieving. None of them seem to care that I, an outsider, has stepped in the room.

Their concentration is elsewhere.

Grandma holds her nose as she walks me through the room straight to the back, where there is a woman about my age lying alone on a bed in a dim lit back room. She appears to be very pregnant, about to pop, and from the looks of it, the pregnancy is not going well.

The pregnant woman is attached to three machines for herself and two seperate ones on her stomach for the baby. I look down to her sunken face. Her eyes drawn back from lack of nutrients and her muscles density weraring thin.

"Is she sleeping...or?" I ask grandma, not wanting to finish my sentence.

"Shes comatose, practically now a living womb for the baby." A tear slides down grandma's face.

"It is taking all of our electricity to keep the baby alive. She's codded twice just this week. That baby is holding on for all its worth." Grandma runs her hand through the woman's hair, but I suddenly I take a deep breath. This woman smells like Joshua.

It clicks.

"This is Joshua's wife and child isn't it?" I ask grandma, sniffing the girl a bit more. I feel kinda like an animal.

"You have a good nose, alien, I like you even more now." She jokes to me as she sits down. I step forward and remove my long sleeve overshirt, leaving me in my jumpsuit.

"Do you mind if I examine her?" I ask her, she nods no.

"Go ahead." She whimpers.

I start by feeling her pulse, getting her heart rate. Its low. I wish I could get her blood pressure, but all that's here is primitive pre-doomsday stuff. I need real medical equipment. I look around the room a bit.

"Can you bring me that rover from a few days ago?" I ask grandma.

"Ill get it for you." Joshua says, appearing in the doorway suddenly, I smile and say a quick thanks.

When he leaves I find a few things in rooms next to us. With the very old stethoscope I find I listen to the baby.

"Lub dub

Lub dub"

The tubes of the stethoscope seem warn, I can't hear it clearly. I adjust the instrument, forcing air in to get the dirt out of the tubing. I listen again.

"Lub Lub dub

Dub"

"Lub Lub dub

Dub

Its two heart beats! I say to myself. No wonder why I couldn't hear it well. I feel around her belly and listen to make sure there is only two.

"Twins." I nod.

"What did you say?" Grandma asks, leaning forward in her chair. Looking to grandma I pull the blanket back over the womans' swollen belly.

"There are two babies in here." I say to her with a smile, pulling her down to listen into the instrument. I fit them into her ears and she listens.