10 | Kiss Of Life

Start from the beginning

When Abella sees Rejoice walk back into the living room she says, "Let me talk to you." Abella wasn't going to invite Rejoice at first. Then she thought it would be mean not to when she's inviting all her other family. In Abella's eyes, her and Rejoice are okay. She wouldn't even say cool because they haven't really spoken since she paid her back the money she stole all those years ago.

Abella asks for a minute from her makeup artist and hairstylist before getting up. Rejoice follows her to another seating area before sitting.

"What's up?" Rejoice asks looking at her cousin...

"I don't have to say this, but thank you for paying me and my mother back in a timely manner

"I don't have to say this, but thank you for paying me and my mother back in a timely manner."

"No problem. It's the least I can do. And thank you for inviting me. I'm proud of everything you're doing. You're making a name for yourself in the music industry. I guess dancing and singing along to the Destiny's Child and Usher tour DVD's paid off," Joy says with a chuckle.

Abella can't help but laugh remembering them dancing in her living room. Abella would be Kelly Rowland because she liked that she's chocolate like her. Rejoice would be Beyoncé and they would force their little cousin to be Michelle.

"Remember when you said you were going to be a superstar singer and I would be your stylist?" Abella says laughing more.

"Couldn't sing worth a lick. I could memorize some lyrics and dance my little ass off, but that was about it. Shit, you don't really need to sing sing to make it nowadays. I might still have a chance." Rejoice isn't lying. Abella's seen it first hand with some of the people her label wants her to write for. "Then again I also wanted to be a stripper."

They both laugh. "You had Aunt Kat buy you a thong."

"And she actually did. But seriously, I knew you would make it big. I didn't know with what because you're damn near good at everything, but I knew and I'm proud."

"Thank you," Abella says hugging her. "I know we've had our differences, but I do love you. We're family." When she pulls away and sees Rejoice wiping her face she asks, "Are you crying?" She gets her answer when she quickly tries to wipe another tear.

"Sometimes I do wonder who I have left. My Dad got deported, my mother's dead, and I've pushed everyone else away with my actions. I try to make amends, but I have this wall up. Like I want to mess it up before somebody else can or they leave me first. I don't know," Joy says wiping her face.

"That's actually why I want to talk to you. I'm going to Nigeria for my benefit concert. I was thinking maybe you can come with me, so you can see your Dad. Every time I go he talks about how he misses you and asks about you, but I have no answers."

"I used to answer when he'd call. I never wanted to miss his calls then I started ignoring them. He was always fucking lying. First he said he was coming back when I'm 13 then 16 then my 18th birthday. Then when I became an adult he only called to ask for money, so I stopped answering."