23. Training to be an Auror, Potter?

Two months have come and gone and Barbara's situation with Gilderoy made her want to rip her hair out.

She felt too guilty to break up with him face-to-face because this was the first time she ever had a boyfriend before; so she didn't know how to go about it. Worse, she was beginning to understand why she felt conflicted with dating Gilderoy. As the months went on she came to realize that she was starting to think about Sirius more than what she would've liked. She also learned that Gilderoy was cheating on her; but she wanted to catch him in the act because she didn't have solid proof.

She only hoped that this year would go as planned.

Barbara woke up one morning, dampened in cold water, to see a smiling Lily Evans right next to her bed.

She gritted my teeth, figuring that the cold water was her new wakeup call. "Lily... Nooit. Me. Wakker."

Barbara tackled Lily to the floor and began hitting her best friend with a pillow. When Marlene woke up, she was witnessing Barbara winning the pillow fight. "Alright, girls, let's get showered and dressed."

Lily and Barbara broke off their fight as Mother Marlene was demanding them to get ready for the day. Barbara grumbled, "I don't think I need one thanks to Evans."

Evans smiled at Barbara. "Glad I helped you get ready faster this morning, then!"

After the girls dressed in their uniforms, they proceeded to walk out of the Gryffindor Common Room and head towards the Great Hall. Barbara immediately noticed the Marauders and went to sit next to Remus. "Hey, Remus, how do you feel today?"

Remus responded in a low whisper, "I don't feel well at all. The moon will be full next week."

Before Barbara could respond or give Remus a hug, a little First Year Ravenclaw ran up to the group.

"Professor Dumbledore wanted me to give this to you, Miss Potter?" He asked the group of Third Years. He handed Barbara the parchment wrapped in a red ribbon.

"Thank you." She told him politely. Once he was gone, Barbara looked at James from across the table and raised her eyebrow. "What could this be for?"

"Only one way to find out, Barb. You have to open it."

Barbara Potter,

Come to my office when first period begins, and bring James, too. I have very important information for you; and your parents shall be there, too. You both will not need to make up your homework for the day; for I have already covered that with the teachers. Tell your friends that this letter says you need to meet with me to discuss an error in your schedule.

Enjoy your breakfast,

Albus Dumbledore

Ps: I like chocolate frogs

Once Barbara and James were in front of the Griffin guarding the stairs, James asked, "Now, what's the password? He didn't tell us!"

Barbara scoffed. "You know, Jamesie, for someone who's one of the smartest people in our year, you can be very daft. The password is 'Chocolate frogs.'" As soon as the candy was mentioned, the Griffin Door jumped aside to allow Barbara and James to pass.

"That was pretty obvious, wasn't it?" James rubbed the back of his head sheepishly. Barbara grinned as she knocked on the door.

It opened to reveal that the whole Potter family was in there. Euphemia and Fleamont were both sitting in comfortable chairs, stress worn on their faces. It was clear Voldemort had been taking a toll on the older couple because bags were more prominent under their eyes than they should've been. Barbara and James hugged their parents, both silently communicating their worry for their parents' health.

Dumbledore then coughed to gain everybody's attention. "I have been noticing some differences in Barbara's magic. I think, because she is a Vampire, her magic from being a witch advances faster more than the pier students' magic. I have been communicating with Queen Valerie throughout the house of this year; and she believes the Vampire magic running through your daughter's veins is acting as a catalyst with the magic. This, while it is a very curious and intriguing predicament, comes with a very negative side effect."

"Will the side effect kill her, Professor?" James asked worriedly. Dumbledore smiled sadly.

"I am afraid I do not know, James. Our times in the Wizarding World are darkening with every passing day. Voldemort has a thirst for power; and your sister will be stronger than most Wizards and Witches by her Fifth Year. I have brought you all into my office to discuss training."

"Training for what?" Fleamont spoke up.

"Training to be an Auror, Potter. Voldemort is already trying to convince Vampires to join his side; and I'm sorry to report that it is happening. We need a strong, capable Royal, who can leave the Realm and survive without having to travel back there. Barbara may be considered a full-blooded Vampire over there; but she has the capability of surviving outside of the Realm, even if it does isolate itself."

"What do you mean the Realm is isolating itself? I talked to Angel just the other day."

"Ms. Potter," Dumbledore's twinkling eyes were fogged, no star in their light, "I am sorry to tell you this, but Queen Valerie will not be able to train you over the weekend. She has just informed me that the Realm, to prevent anybody from joining Voldemort or dying at the Ministry's hands, will be closing its doors until Voldemort's reign is taken down."

Barbara felt her whole world crashing down around her. She didn't notice the tears flowing down her face or her brother holding her in his arms. All she could think about was the fact that Valerie decided to run and hide rather than fight for what was right. Barbara always thought of Valerie as one of the bravest people she had ever known; but that all changed as soon as Dumbledore announced the news.

Now, she could only see her mother figure as a coward.

"My dear, I am so sorry. Angel, if it makes you feel any better, will be working in The Three Broomsticks and living in Hogsmede to help you control you Vampire magic. You will be meeting with her every couple of weeks still."

Barbara nodded her head in understanding but her mind still raced with thoughts. So Angel is the one who cares? Not Valerie? After all of this time?

"Barbara, when you're fifteen, you're allowed to use both Vampire magic and Wizard magic. The trace will wear off when you become an adult Vampire. So, that's when you will be considered an adult witch."

"I have talked with the head of the Auror apartment, Mad-Eye Moody, who I understand knows about what happened to you as a child. If you wish to be an Auror by the time you're an adult in the Vampire community, you may duel him and become the youngest one in history. Mr. and Mrs. Potter, do you consent to allow Barbara to begin her training?"

"Only if my daughter wants to do it."

Everyone in the room looked at Barbara, who nodded her head vigorously. To begin training and become an Auror before she graduated Hogwarts sounded like a great opportunity to her. She would never pass this kind of opportunity up.