5. Royalty

After talking with her father for hours on end and learning about her twin brother, James Potter, Mr. Potter was forced to leave Mungo's as he needed to alert his wife of the news. A few minutes later, the Vampire Healer entered.

"Hello, Barbara. I'm Angel and I've been assigned to you to help you understand Vampires." Barbara nodded in acknowledgement.

"We're going to be doing a lot of practicing with control over your wings, fangs, and help you understand a bit of our history from a Vampire's point of view." She nodded again, still afraid to speak to anybody else but her father.

"First, sweetheart, I'm going to have to swab your fang to see who bit you. Do you know how to reveal your fangs?" Angel frowned as the little girl shook her head.

"Well, I'll have to put a spell on you, Miss. Do you feel comfortable with doing that?"

"I-if that's what has to be done." Barbara muttered under her breath. She took a deep breath as Angel said the spell, and felt two foreign things coming from the gums of her teeth. It was a weird feeling; but it didn't hurt.

Angel gently swabbed the glossy, pure white fangs with a tissue and set it on the bed. She muttered another foreign spell and suddenly the tip of her wand glowed a dark, blood red. When it hit the tissue it had turned the faded white into a dazzling gold. Barbara noticed Angel's eyes widen, and her mouth agape.

"Does that mean the person who bit me is bad?" Barbara asked. Angel only shook her head, she was too stunned to believe who had bitten her.

"It-it was the queen, Queen Valerie." Angel managed to choke out. How had the little girl managed, as an infant, to attract the Queen's attention?

Barbara was in too much shock to listen to Angel muttering the possibilities as to why she was bit by Queen Valerie. She was too focused on the fact that she was technically royalty, even if it was in a different realm. She looked at Angel and realized her eyes become a faded purple, almost like lilac, as she continued to mutter under her breath; and she wondered if Angel was royalty as well.

"Are you a part of the royal family, Angel?" She nodded her head, and replied that she was a cousin but by no means a runner up for the throne.

"So... that means I'm the heir to the throne after her..." Angel nodded again, still looking completely aghast.

"Well that means we're going to start learning about her and the kingdom, alright?"

"Okay. I'm ready whenever you are, Angel."

Barbara and Angel spent all day and all night learning the very first pieces of history about Vampires. It was a lot for the little girl to take in; but it wasn't exactly hard for her to keep up.

She learned about Mendry the First, who was the first Vampire ever recorded in Muggle history. He was supposedly the true founder of the kingdom, but there was so much speculation that eventually lead to his downfall. It was later realized that he was, indeed, a hoax; and the elected official was to remain the sole heir to the throne.

Slavoyant Fondrés was Queen Valerie's many greats-grandfather. He was elected by the Vampires to be their sole heir to the kingdom because of his fairness, humbleness, and compassion towards others. The kingdom, ever since his rule, had been passed down through the eldest child, son or daughter. His son had two daughters who fought for the throne when it came down the the eldest's daughter or her sister; but it was later determined to pass through the eldest child to the youngest, and then move on to the next generation. It was a system that had been working ever since.

Barbara found it all fascinating. Angel had told her that Valerie's eldest brother was killed in the Revolutionary War; so after her other brother ruled for a hundred years and had no children (for Angel revealed she was bitten by him nearing his death to ensure the throne), he passed it on to Valerie. Angel had told Barbara that it would be her before herself due to the fact that it would go to Valerie's heir before Angel's.

It had been a long night, and Barbara had fallen asleep after learning about the "secret" passageways into the kingdom. Angel tucked her in and left the room, excited to know how her Aunt Valerie would take the news.