Chapter 6 - The Outing

Henry loved his Saturdays. It was a day when he could relax, sleep in, eat junk food and spend precious time with his wife. This Saturday was not supposed to be any different. Everyone would have breakfast and then retire to do their own thing. But Oyin was not having that. She thought it would be nice if they all went out to something fun. They had had an argument on the issue the night before.

"Babe, I know you love your quiet Saturdays. But we haven't taken my parents out to do anything fun since they came here. Even Olive, for that matter. Tomorrow is literally the only day that we can."

"Yeah, but it's not like they sit at home bored," had been his weak retort.

"But they came to spend time with us, Henry, not watch all the Nigerian movies on Netflix."

He did not think that Oyin's parents, especially her mom, wanted to spend time with him, but he had kept that to himself.

Instead, he tried to find some way to exclude himself from the outing. He wasn't about to subject himself to Oyin's mom's judgmental looks.

In the end, Oyin had won the argument, not by some expert intellectual manipulation. She had simply kissed him.

Henry smiled to himself at the memory of what had followed, as he sat at the kitchen island, watching as Oyin informed every one of the plans over breakfast.

"Honestly, I think we should just go out and have fun. It doesn't even matter where we go. What does everyone think?"

Oyin's mom smiled. "Where are the good places we can go around here?"

Olive piped up. "I think we should go to Berry's Country Club! The girls can get massages, and the men can do whatever it is men do when women are having fun."

Henry laughed. "Wow. Thanks for including us, Olive."

Olive grinned and winked. "You are welcome."

"My oyin, I am all for going out. But Henry and I cannot sit around while you women have all the fun. We would like massages, too. Abi, Henry?" Mr. Johnson Daddy said.

Heat flooded his face as everyone turned to face him. "Y-Yes sir. Of course sir."

He mentally face-palmed.

Smooth, Henry.

He loved the fact that Daddy had so casually included him in the conversation, even using a Yoruba word. He wished he had said something witty and casual back. Instead he had sounded like he had not understood what Daddy had said.

Great. Another weapon in Oyin's mom's "Disapprove of Henry" arsenal.

#∞: He does not understand simple Yoruba words, like abi.

Oyin giggled and she rubbed him arm comfortingly. "Daddy don't put my husband on the spot. Babe," She tapped his arm. "You don't have to get massages if you don't want."

Henry glanced at Daddy. "I mean, I don't mind getting massages, but I agree with Daddy. Let's find a place where we can all have fun together."

Daddy smiled widely at him and a dimple, reminiscent of the one on Oyin's left cheek, popped out. "Exactly. Thank you."

Henry bit back a relieved sigh. It was just a smile, but it felt like everything. Riding off of that high, he glanced at Oyin's mom. Her face was scrunched up in a frown, as she looked between Daddy and him.

He swallowed as their eyes met. He gave her a slight smile and looked away. He felt queasy. He didn't understand why she didn't like him.

Do you like her? He heard the Spirit whisper.