Ch. 8

Annabeth POV
"Nice to finally meet you, Aqua-Boy."

I watched silently from my hiding spot in the rafters as Titan sauntered up to Percy. Percy was tied up in a chair and being guarded by two huge guys that looked half-man, half-bear.

"I've heard that you've been working a lot with Athena. Is she here with you? Because she and I have some unfinished business." Titan stopped in front of Percy and smirked. "Are you close with her? Are you her Aqua-Boyfriend?"

Percy said nothing, his head hanging down.

Titan yanked Percy's chin up and sneered, "I'm talking to you. Don't ignore me."

"Sorry. Do Paddington and Winnie the Pooh not give you enough attention?" Percy replied innocently.

I struggled not to laugh as Titan's face grew bright red behind his mask. "You better be careful or else you'll be their dinner."

Titan made a gesture, and one of the bear-men put a gag over Percy's mouth.

Titan smiled. "That's better. Now, let's discuss our mutual friend. Did you know that I used to be friends with Athena? Well, actually I was friends with Annabeth Chase, but in case you didn't know, they are the same person."

Titan and I were friends? I searched my brain for any memories of him.

"Have you seen Athena without her mask on?" Titan asked Percy who just shook his head, no. "Too bad. Guess she doesn't trust you very much. She used to trust me."

Percy looked skeptical.

"Is that so unbelievable, Aqua-Boy? Well, I guess it would be more appropriate to say Annabeth trusted me. The old me. I was very close to her, and I'm pretty sure she was in love with me. Now I just want her to join my side and rebuild this city, but she doesn't seem to want that. Yet."

I couldn't stop myself from dropping down between Titan and Percy. Titan stumbled back a step as I faced him. His bear-men moved to grab me, but Titan waved them off. "We're fine."

Titan looked me over and said, "Looking good, Annabeth. You grow more beautiful each day."

I clenched my teeth and said, "Don't."

Titan sighed and looked disappointed. "Really? You're going to treat me like this? After all we've been through? I know you know who I am." He took off his mask, and I saw a familiar face, the only change was he had a long scar from the bottom of his eye to his chin.

"Luke," I confirmed.

He nodded and smiled a little. "It took you long enough. I've missed you."

"Stop it. I thought you died."

"You really thought a fire could kill me? I'm too fast for that." Luke chuckled and then stopped when he saw I wasn't amused. "I'm sorry I left you, Annabeth, but I needed revenge. I killed the man who started the fire, but then I realized that wasn't enough. Everyone in this city is selfish and flawed! I want to start over. Start the whole city over." Luke stepped toward me, holding out a hand. "Join me, and we can rebuild this city. Destroy all the evil in it. Together. You're my family, and I don't want to do this without you."

I shook my head. "No." I grabbed Luke's arm and flipped him onto his back. Then I pinned him to the ground and yelled, "Now!"

Two bolts of lighting stuck down the bear-boys.

"The cops are surrounding the building now!"

I smiled as Jason flew in through the hole he burned in the roof.

Luke struggled, but I pulled out a bull tranquilizer and gave him a shot. Once Luke passed out, I chained him up and helped Jason untie Percy. Just before the cops entered the room, Jason flew us out the way he came. Then we stood on the roof and watched the cops capture Luke and all his minions.

"Are you okay?" Percy asked. "I didn't understand everything you guys were talking about, but I know you were close to him."

I sighed. "Luke was like a big brother to me. I feel bad about hurting him, but he was doing the wrong thing. Luke hurt and killed people, lied, and broke the law because he thought he could fix everything if he could...I don't know, raze the city to the ground and restart? I couldn't let him get away with that."

Percy gave me a small hug. "You did the right thing."

"Well, our plan to catch Titan went according to plan. That was good," Jason said.

I smiled. "Of course it was good. I came up with that plan."

"It's nice to see you back in uniform," Percy added.

"I would do anything to help you guys. But now I'm going to be late for my evening class so I'll see you guys later." Then Jason flew away.

Percy and I stood hand in hand watching Jason fly away from us. Percy squeezed my hand and smiled at me. "We did it. You're safe to come back home."

"Yeah...." I sighed.

"What's the matter?" Percy asked, worried.

"I defeated the villain and got the guy...but what do I do now?"