Strength bows to Wisdom

Chapter 5

So, I was reading this to make sure I didn't make any silly mistakes and Hades, this story is much more depressing than I thought. Whoops. Especially this chapter...

Percy's POV (Memory)

The morning sun shown brightly on camp Half-Blood with rays of light reaching out to wake the sleeping demigods. They walked out of their cabins, eyes sparkling eager to celebrate a certain son of Poseidon's birthday.

Annabeth rolled her eyes seeing I was not at my table and said I must have accidentally slept in. She looked a little weirded out because I never sleep in, I'm one of the few morning people at camp. A couple of the Hermes kids snickered whispering something along the lines of how it was about time I slept in for once.

Thanatos had met me on the hill and allowed me to watch them and their reactions. I knew it would hurt me, but I had to know. I stood at the edge of the pavilion unnaturally quieter than usual inspecting the mess hall with interest.

It was brighter and much more colorful than I had noticed. All the noise and movement gave me a headache. I squeezed my eyes shut for a second and opened them to find a panicked looking Annabeth race into the mess hall. "He's not there."

Most people didn't look too concerned. They probably figured I went to the beach or something. Chiron about to share that theory with Annabeth when a mournful roar came from half blood hill making me flinch.

Everyone stood up and ran towards the hill, Annabeth in the lead. I followed closely behind. At the top, I saw that Peleus had covered my body with his paw keeping me out of sight. I shivered at the thought. Annabeth gasped at the sight of the monster dust lying on the grass.

The rest of camp caught up and had similar reactions. I closed my eyes to prepare myself for the inevitable. "Peleus! What happened?" Annabeth asked looking horrified by the bits of dry blood on the ground she had just noticed, not that it was known but my blood. Her eyes followed the trail until they landed on Peleus who let out another roar.

Peleus removed his paw putting showing everyone what had happened, showing them my body. I winced remembering it. I was in more pain than I process while I was dying. Everyone gasped in horror and disbelief and looked around my battlefield realizing what had happened.

I flinched again when I saw Annabeth run over with tears streaming down her face. She immediately checked my pulse but her eyes told me she already knew I was gone. My pale lifeless face and the coldness of my skin told her that.

She started to sob louder making my own tears fall. "No, no, no," she whispered. "We were supposed to be together." She said through sobs.

-------------------------

I gasped finding myself on the ground and closed my eyes to prevent my emotions from streaming down my face. What was that? I kept my eyes closed to calm myself. I hugged my knees, breathing slowly. The fact I couldn't be with Annabeth, even though she forgot me, still hurt.

I stood up trying to ignore the flashback and why I got one and started on my mom's blue cookie recipe.

Surprise, surprise! I could hardly focus on anything. It was a miracle I got all the food down for the party by the time Kallitéchnis walked in the door, yawning lazily. He saw me in the kitchen and blinked in surprise. I took one of my headphones off so I could hear him.

"What are you doing- Oh wait, I have a party today, right?" He asked looking at me for clarification.

I rolled my eyes and gave him an exasperated look. Then I turned my back to him without a word and checked to make sure I hadn't forgotten anything. "Oh by the way," I drawled without turning, "your front room is a mess." I pointed in the direction still not looking away from my work.