Chapter Seven: Ease the Tension

Start from the beginning

- - -

Papyrus' scarf is surprisingly soft and warm. It's red, however, perhaps scarlet, and she doesn't know what to think of it.
"Thanks," Chara mumbles, looping it around her once more due to its length.
"NO PROBLEM, CHARA. AS A SKELETON, I AM INVINCIBLE TO THE COLD!"
"I'm well aware."
Papyrus then gazes at her affectionately, an action Chara has yet to prepare herself for. She intends to smile back, but something about the heat invading her skin causes her to shy away from eye contact. Instead, she moves a little closer, brushing his arm. Unfortunately, the fever only increases, as does the beat of her heart. It's uncomfortable, but she doesn't want to move away.
It's different from the heat Sans gives her, but not any less annoying. She doesn't know which one she prefers, but she does prefer Papyrus over Sans, so perhaps his warmth is better.
She ought to tell him of the intensity in these feelings, but the idea of sharing them develops dread in the pit of her stomach. A dread she can't explain, but doesn't want. It's as if not telling him will keep her safe, yet to do so would also set her free. Chara shakes her head, attempting to rid of the thoughts. Confusion had always frustrated her.
"SO, WHERE DO YOU THINK THE LONELINESS CAME FROM THIS TIME?" Papyrus inquires, faking obliviousness to Chara's immediate scowl.
"What have I said about stupid questions? It's none of your business," she snaps, burying her nose into his scarf and looking to the concrete.
"I ONLY WISH TO AID YOU ON YOUR QUEST FOR SELF DISCOVERY!" He declares to Chara's dismay, wanting to flee when few inhabitants of the city look their way.
"THEN AGAIN, YOU DON'T SEEM HAPPY EVEN NOW," Papyrus says like a detective on a case. Chara glances up at him; He's still staring at her.
"That's just it. I don't know what I feel. It's so.. red.. but at the same time it isn't," Chara admits, sighing and allowing the scarf to drape loosely around her neck and shoulders.
      "It's worse than red, yet weaker. Like three different feelings mixed together." Her hands make crazy gestures as she speaks, Papyrus watching intently.
     "I SEE." Chara awaits for his response eagerly, now realizing her desperation for answers.
     "AHA! WE HAVE ARRIVED!" Papyrus announces instead, reaching for the handle of an average sized building. There are few windows so Chara can't see inside, but there's a large poster above the door that reads: 'Mettaton's Yoga and Dance Studio: The Key to Fabulous Legs!'.
     Chara suppresses a groan. What drove her to give Papyrus freedom to choose where they were to waste their time? She decides not to increase the red she already feels, Mettaton likely never comes here. He not only spends most of his time on tour, but given he's a robot, the state of his legs have nothing to do with exercise.
     "DO NOT WORRY, CHARA! THE GREAT PAPYRUS ALWAYS FINDS IT EASY TO RELAX HERE! IT SHOULD DO YOU SOME GOOD," Papyrus explains, allowing Chara to enter first.
     The room is incredibly cold from intense air conditioning, also sporting a very minimalist style. The ceiling is covered in lights, increasing the brightness of the room alongside white walls. Chara tries not to judge too quickly, due to her distaste for  the owner.
      Papyrus strides up to the front counter, a grinning cat monster ready to check him in. Chara follows him warily, preferring to station behind him as he chats up the monster.
     "Papyrus! It's always good to see one of our most valued customers!" She greets peppily, accepting Papyrus' membership card from him.
     "THANK YOU! THIS WAY, CHARA."
     "Enjoy your stay!"

- - -

     Chara peers about the hallways with a growing grimace. There was nothing but golden framed pictures of Mettaton in the most ridiculous and impossible poses she's ever seen. The portraits never ended.
     Papyrus pauses at a door, a small symbol of a pink girl beside it.
     "GO IN HERE AND CHANGE THEN MEET ME ON THE OTHER SIDE!"
     "What?" Chara doesn't enjoy the idea of Papyrus abandoning her, even if it's just for a moment. Wasn't the whole point of this to rid of the light blue?
     "YOU CAN'T DO YOGA IN BOOTS!" With that, he turns to the door beside hers, entering and leaving Chara behind. She opens her own door soon after, not wanting to linger in the secluded hallway.
     It's a dressing room, complete with showers that has filled the area with steam. Chara much preferred the cold waiting room, and is quick to remove Papyrus' scarf.
     Humans and monsters bustle about the room, opening lockers, rushing to their scheduled class, or entering the showers.
     Chara was only able to take one step before a hovering machine darts in front of her. She recoils, reaching down to her pocket only for nothing to be there.
     "Welcome!" A red light scans her frame. The robot beeps, and its light flashes green. "Ah! A premium visitor!" There's another incomprehensible sound, and a small white slip exits the machine and into Chara's hand.
     "You are locker number forty-seven in the VIP section! I shall escort you." She isn't given time to react before a blue light traps her body and lifts her into the air.
     "I can handle myself—" she's cut off by the robot's ridiculously fast pace, getting her to her destination before she even knew they'd moved.
     "We have arrived! Enjoy your stay!"
     Chara reclaims her senses. "Hey—!" The light fades and she falls to the floor with a loud thump. The other visitors pay it no mind, this is apparently a normal occurrence.
      The familiarity of being above ground against her will made Chara sick. She remains seated in front of her locker, back up against the hot pink metal. The only time she considers rising is when Papyrus pops into her mind. He is likely waiting for her, maybe getting worried. She stands, and instantly regrets it.
     The locker, decorated with a glittering forty-seven, flies open and a robotic arm shoots out. Chara lets out a yelp, but it's silenced when yet another blue light is blasted from the arm, trapping her in its grasp. Instead of watching herself be flung in a random direction, or watch the features of the room blur, Chara glues her eyes shut.