16: I Wasn't Able To Save Him

~One Week Later~

I can't lose him....

I can't just let them....take him like that

I have to fight back

I have to get him back

"But where is he...?" I ask myself,"Batman said he would have to be kept in a facility....".

I rub my tired eyes,pacing around my apartment for any source of information.

I'll find a way

I'll find a way....

Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough

Where do I go for this sort of-

....

My gaze falls on the tv

Of course!

I grab the remote,and quickly press the power button. The screen flashes on,revealing the reporter as usual.

"Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen" she speaks,"today we finally have the full background of 'the Joker', who only a week ago caused chaos to Gotham city, we now have information on where he is currently residing at the moment. He was admitted to Arkham Asylum at around 3:00 pm last week. Next up is-"

I turn off the tv,and rush out of the apartment.

~Time Skip~

I bolted towards the elevator,constantly pressing the button until the doors finally closed. After a few seconds,they reopened, and I booked it to Dr.Kane's office.

"Dr.Kane!" I call out,making my way into her office. She practically jumped from her seat,gazing up at me with wide eyes.

"Charlotte..." She sighs,"somehow I just knew you were going to come here".

"Please doctor..." I plead,"I know Arthur is here, I need to see him".

"You know I can't do that" she says sternly," we both know this is how it needs to be".

"No it doesn't" I tell her,"he just needs-"

"What he needs is help" she interrupts me,
"And you have no business coming here and telling me what his needs are. Look,I know your trying to help, and I find that incredible, but now it's gotten to a point where...you just need to walk away".

"But-" before I could finish,she quickly interrupts me once again,"why are you so determined to protect him!?!" She practically yells in my face,
"You are always trying to get him out of trouble, don't you think that maybe you just need to lay off and let this go!?! Jesus Christ Charlotte, your only eighteen years old! What on earth are you trying to prove here!?!"

I just stand there,baffled by the harsh reality of what I've become of myself.

I let out a sigh,"your right..." I tell her,"you are absolutely right,but..I still need to see him".

"Oh my god~" she hisses,"Are you seriously doing this!?! Why do you care for him so much,WHY!?!"

"You wanted to know my past right....?" I question,"you wanted to know what happened to me?"

I finally have the courage to remove my gaze from the floor,and stare right into her dark brown eyes.

"When I was four years old,the first thing that I remembered was my father slapping my mother in the face. And ever since then, all I knew was to be quiet,and stay out of the way. My mother and older brother got beaten most of the time,mostly because I was so small to bare any marking without having to go to the doctor. And one day, I had just gotten home from school. It was a Tuesday, and the weather was bright and shiny. I thought that, just maybe, my father for once could actually show that he cared for us. So I went up to him while he was smoking a cigarette at the kitchen table, and tried to give him a hug. He pushed me off of him,and slapped me hard in the face. My mother was furious,she was screaming at him,and just like that, she stopped. He had grabbed her head,and smashed it against the wall,making her unconscious. There was blood on the spot where she hit her head,and I remember it oozing out of her nose and skull. My brother called the police,and they took us to a foster home. We managed to get adopted in the same household, and we spent most of our time together. But....he was just so...depressed. I tried everything, I would do silly faces for him, make him breakfast, anything that made his day a little more easier. I remember jumping off the school bus, the weather was a little chilly, and I had made a card for him for Mother's Day. I knew that he wasn't my mom,and that I had my foster mom but...I felt he really needed to see that card. I raced up to his room,so excited to give to him what I had made. And then....I saw it...."

I try to compose myself to continue

"H-he had taken some of my dad's pills, and overdosed. I remember how his mouth was foaming,his eyes were sickly and dark. I-I tried to get my mom or my dad but they weren't home,so I called 911. They took him in an ambulance,and I had to wait in the waiting room for hours. And finally, a doctor came up to me, and told me in the most calming voice he could manage that...he was gone".

I force myself to gaze at Doctor Kane," I-i wasn't able to save my brother~" I gasp, feeling hot tears flowing down my cheeks,"I-I tried so hard to make him h-happy,b-but I-I wasn't able to s-save h-him~"

I feel myself hyperventilating, lightly hiccuping and gasping through my silent sobs.

"S-So maybe,I-I thought I could save Arthur, I thought that I was given a second chance to change someone's life for the better. I-I can't let him g-go,no matter how hard I try I just can't!"

I feel my hands ball into fists

"I-I'm so pathetic,because I can't get over the fact that my brother is gone! And that I need to move on with my life, but I just wanted to make the world a better place, and to spare at least one....one person from having to go through what him and I had gone through~"

I continue to sob,feeling as if my emotions were slowly seeking out of me through my hot tears. I tried to wipe them away, but more would follow quickly after. I couldn't stop,I had already been broken to the extent.

I feel a hand on my shoulder,and I gaze up at Dr.Kane, through my blurred vision, I saw that she to had been crying.

She had made her way to the doorway of her office,and glanced at me sympathetically.

~"Follow me"~