Chapter 30

The moonlit woods were eerily beautiful. Will and I chatted all the way back to the outlaw's camp. The long walk felt short as we neared a small fire with many familiar faces sitting around it. Before stepping into the light, I felt Will gently turn me to face him. He grinned sweetly and planted a small kiss on my forehead before leading me to meet everyone.

Much was the first to jump up and nearly toppled us over hugging me.

"You're back!" He squealed with delight.

I smiled and patted his back. I was greeted with hellos from the rest of the gang, but didn't see Robin. I was going to ask, but was joined by Nasir who gave me a warm hug and began to ask how I was doing. Will gave my hand a gentle squeeze before he walked off to give us privacy.

"Sister dear, what have you been up to," he asked, in his brotherly voice.

"Not a lot. Reading, ignoring the sheriff and Guy."

"So it's Guy now?"

"Gisborne. You know who I mean."

He raised an eyebrow at me like he knew something I wasn't understanding. I brushed it off and heard all about his plans to depart shortly for The Holy Land. I was saddened but happy that my brother wanted to see his home and that he was excited and ecstatic to go. We continued to chat and joke for a while when Will came over and sat down on my other side.

"Mel, I asked Nasir if it would be alright and now I want to ask you."

"Of course what is it?" I asked, a bit confused.

Nasir excused himself and shared a glance with Will before leaving. I noticed Much coming over but saw him intercepted and herded away by Nasir. Strange. I thought to myself.

"Mel," Will said, taking my hands into his. "Melody will you make me the happiest man alive and marry me? I promise to always make you smile, always love you, and be there for you always. Through the bad and the good. To be at your side forever."

"Will, I..."

"Say yes!" Robin shouted from somewhere nearby.

I looked up and realized we were being watched by the whole gang and now the Maid Marion had joined the party. I laughed and looked to Will. I gazed deeply into his soft brown eyes. Tears threatened to come and I quickly answered, "yes. With all of my heart William Scarlett I will marry you."

Will looked relieved and as if in fear I'd change my mind quickly but carefully pulled me into a kiss, the others cheering in the background. But it didn't matter. At that moment, the world became just Will and me.

————————————————————————

The logistics for planning a wedding in Sherwood Forest on a day's notice was much simpler than anyone thought. I didn't want anything big or crazy. Just all of our dear friends of Sherwood in attendance.

Marion was with me helping me adjust my dress she let me borrow.

"I can't believe you're getting married my friend!" She exclaimed excitedly.

"When are you going to?" I asked her, deflecting her statement.

"What do you mean?" She asked, turning a bit red.

"I see you and Robin. He loves you and I know you love him."

"Shhhh! Someone might hear," she shushed me.

"Come on Mare, we've known each other a long time. I know you love him."

"I really do. But, things are complicated."

"If I can marry an outlaw in secret so can you," I responded laughing.

"My father wants me to marry Guy," Marion said quietly, her eyes drifting to the floor.

"Oh. Mare I didn't know. You don't have to though you know." I tried to comfort her.

"As long as Robin is an outlaw I cannot marry him. It's just not possible."

"Why not? Says who?"

"It's different for me. I can't leave my father Melody. Marrying Robin is a life sentence to Sherwood and disgrace to my father. He still has some power in the royal court. I cannot risk that." She said, tears pouring down her face.

"I'm sorry Marion. If it makes you feel better, Gisbourne is promised to someone else," I mumbled.

"No, I'm sorry. It's your special day and I'm ruining it," she apologized, ignoring my comment about Gisbourne, though her face seemed to light up slightly.

"No. You're not."

"Let's get your hair done shall we?" She said, changing the subject.

"Alright." I replied, deciding it was best to drop the topic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We all gathered under a magnificent oak tree. Friar Tuck was standing before Will and me. He smiled at us. A trace of sadness could be seen in his face but he carried on with the service anyway. I felt my heart racing as I stood looking Will, his gaze not leaving me for one second.

Everyone was gathered around. Marion was still gently brushing tears away from her eyes and Much was not very far behind her.

"With the power vested in me by God, and the Church of England, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride" Friar Tuck finally finished.

I felt my heart race as Will smiled and without hesitation kissed me. Applause erupted from our friends but Will didn't let go.

"Alright you're married lad! It's time to party" Little John called out, receiving laughter from everyone.

Will pulled away and we turned to look at everyone. We thanked them and Little John broke out the ale.

"We will continue this later Mrs. Scarlett," Will whispered in my ear, causing me to blush slightly.

"Whatever you say, Mr. Scarlett," I whispered back, catching him off guard.

We both laughed and hand in hand joined our partying friends in the celebration. It did not escape me that Friar Tuck appeared to be saying a quick prayer before joining us.

Everything was perfect. The consequences and conflicts of our wedlock had not yet dawned on anyone.  We were all in heavenly bliss and the world outside of Sherwood was non-existent.