Chapter 23

Run, run, run, run... I repeated the words in my head over and over again as I tore into the woods to get away. I stumbled over branches, but luckily didn't fall. Deeper and deeper into the forest I ran, the heavy footsteps of Gisbourne close behind me.

I began to grow tired and was losing air in my lungs. My breathing became ragged and I wheezed for air as I continued to sprint like prey running from its predator. I began scanning the area for somewhere to hide, but there was nothing but open wood. An unseen root tripped me and I toppled to the ground. I could hear Gisbourne in the distance screaming angrily. I couldn't make out his words, but they didn't sound like Happy Birthday.

I attempted to stand up only to find my damn dress was caught on the stick. I desperately pulled on it but couldn't get it loose. I checked my person for my dagger only to find I had left it in my room at the castle. I cursed myself for being so unprepared and continued to pull at the fabric. There was an awful tearing sound, but what disturbed me more was the fact that there was a giant barbaric looking man standing on the hilltop nearby.

His gaze met mine, and I felt the fear set it. I was too frightened to scream and continued to sit there on the ground as he came towards me. His face was covered in war paint and his beard was tangled and greasy. He wore a fur coat and carried a large spiked club. His belt was loaded with axes, knives, and a heavy iron sword. With every step he took the ground vibrated.

My heart pounded and I finally got up enough courage to try to run, sadly my legs betrayed me and like jello I fell back onto the ground. So I began to crawl as fast as I could. He maintained his slow pace, unmoved by my pitiful attempt to get away. Soon enough he had caught up to me and I felt his heavy foot on my back, pushing my to the ground.

Now on my stomach I rolled over onto my back. Above me he stood staring at me with menacing black eyes. I gulped and tried to scramble away which he allowed for a bit before I was once more laying flat on the ground. Then I realized, he was enjoying this. He liked seeing the fear in my eyes. We were playing cat and mouse, where I was the mouse. I stopped moving and watched him. He raised his spiky club and screamed. I rolled out of the way as the club slammed the ground where I had once been sitting.

"Get up Melody, get up!" I screamed to myself as I pulled myself off of the ground and ran for my life.

I didn't make it far because my stupid dress once more was caught in brambles. I screamed and pulled at the fabric, but it wouldn't let loose. I watched as the man slowly walked towards me. I bit my lip and closed my eyes. I didn't want to watch the spiky club come down.

I heard a voice scream my name and opened my eyes. Before me was Robin and his gang, ready to take down this barbarian. I was slightly confused and disoriented, but was soon taken away from the fight by Will.

We ran through the woods until we came to the spot where the concealed treehouse were. Will whistled and down dropped the rope ladder. He looked at me.

"Can you climb?" he asked.

I nodded my head and began my journey up the ladder with Will right behind me. At the top we were greeted by Much who, despite the insult I accidentally gave to his cooking, actually seemed rather happy to see me.

I was escorted by the two of them to a platform where they both stared at me.

"What are you doing here?" Will asked, not so gently.

"I was um..." I thought, what was I doing in the woods.

Will and Much waited for me to answer. Thought as I did no words came to mind. What was wrong with me? Why couldn't I remember what I was doing in the woods. I didn't hit my head. Before I could ponder any longer, Robin was calling out to Will and Much to come down from the treehouse. They glanced at me once more before leaving.

Not wanting to sit by myself I decided to go down and see what was going on. I descended the ladder with ease and walked over to where they were all grouped.

"He was a scout. This is real. We are going to be in trouble very soon," Robin said.

"Dammit. He was hard enough to deal with, what are we gonna do when a whole army of them come?" Little John asked, upset.

"I don't know John, I don't know," Robin responded.

"He was the hired mercenary wasn't he?" I asked. All eyes turned to look at me.

"Yes," Robin responded. "How are you feeling?"

"Better," I replied.

"Melody, what were you doing in the woods?"

"I'm not sure. I was fighting with Gisbourne and then..."

"Then what?" Will asked.

"I made him really mad and ran away from him," I remembered.

"So Gisbourne is out in the wood somewhere then?" Robin asked.

"Yes."

"Well I hate to say this, but we have to go find him," Robin said.

"What? Why?" Everyone began to protest all at once.

"Because, I know he's scum, but we can't knowingly let him die," Robin shouted over the protests.

"Why the hell not?" Little John demanded.

"We aren't murderers John! These mercenaries are dangerous. More dangerous than I think the Sheriff and prince John know. If they see Gisbourne, they will kill him and I'm not about to have that on my conscious."

"What if we die lookin for him?" Little John tried again.

"Then we die John! But we died doing the right thing!"

Little John grumbled under his breath.

I was lent an extra bow, and when nobody was paying attention, Will gave me the silver dagger with the initial's R.L.H, that we had found in the cave. I thanked him and slid it into the belt of my pants. Yes I now had pants and a baggy shirt. I wasn't very lady looking, but it was better than the damn dress that got caught on everything.

All geared up and ready to go everyone reluctantly went out to find Gisbourne, who was still hunting me.