Chapter 3

The road to Nottingham was long and very dull. Nobody said a word to me, yet they were completely alert as if they were guarding me.

"How much longer?" I whined and then realized how childish it sounded.

Gisbourne laughed and stared at me. I knew what he was thinking. Little girl. I glared back at him with such intensity that he jolted back in his saddle a little. Pleased with myself I turned my attention back to the road before us.

We rode in silence for a while longer until at last we came to an abrupt halt.

"We'll make camp here for the night," Gisbourne announced to his men. As if on cue the men began dismounting and unpacking blankets, food, and water. Some went into the nearby brush to fetch kindling and wood for the fire. It was apparent that they were all experts at making a camp.

I watched from my horse as the men continued to scamper around. "Hmm... nobody was looking maybe I could make a run for it. But then again, I was a woman in the middle of Sherwood Forest, unarmed. At the moment the safest place to be, sadly, was with Gisbourne and his men.

I sighed as I looked around me. The sun was setting fast, but on its way out it cast a beautiful orange glow upon the leaves of the trees. A cool breeze set in and I felt myself shiver. I instinctively pulled my tattered wrap around my shoulders and clamped it to my body with my hands.

"Are you cold milady?" I heard someone behind me ask.

"A little," I replied, turning around to find Gisbourne standing behind my horse.

"Come, sit by the fire. It'll help to warm you up," he gestured.

Not wanting to freeze to death, I carefully dismounted my horse and followed him to the fire.

The warmth of the orangey-yellow light before me was calming and welcoming compared to the cold night air. I trained my eyes on the swirl of smoke that quickly climbed into the sky. The flames licked the logs and burnt them to a crisp. I watched as Gisbournes men produced what appeared to be preserved meat. I was offered a piece but politely rejected it. I did however accept the apple Gisbourne offered to me.

Still hungry, but not hungry enough to eat the strange meat, I wrapped myself in my shawl and laid down a safe distance from the fire. The bare ground was cold and smelt like fresh dirt. The smell was comforting and almost in an instant I was fast asleep.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next morning, I awoke to find a blanket had been laid over me. As I sat up, I felt the blanket slide down my back and the chilly morning air creeping in. I shivered and quickly pulled the blanket around me as I stood up. I looked around. Most of the men were fast asleep. I searched among the many strange faces for one I recognized but did not see Gisbourne anywhere.

"Figures," I mumbled to myself as I tripped over a figure I hadn't originally noticed by my feet.
Gisbourne woke with a start and immediately drew his sword.

"Who's there?" he demanded.

Then he looked down to see me on the ground brushing myself off.

"Thanks a lot," I grumbled as I stood up.

"What?"

"Why the hell were you sleeping there?! I could've really hurt myself tripping over you," I complained.

Instead of answering Gisbourne re-sheathed his sword and walked away from me. He began shouting orders at his men to wake up and pack up camp.

"What a gentleman," I mumbled to myself as I stood up almost falling once more as I got caught on my shawl.

"Gentleman huh?" Gisbourne laughed as he caught me before I went face first into the ground.

I glared at him which only made him laugh more. I rolled my eyes and struggled to get out of his grasp.

"I'm good now. you can let go,"

He eyed me before gently pulling me back into a standing position and letting me go.

As I stormed away, I could hear him laughing quietly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After another hour or so of riding the turrets of Nottingham castle came into view. I sighed as we picked up our pace.

At last we were at Nottingham Castle. We rode into the courtyard where Gisbourne ordered his men to dismount and stable the horses. He then strolled over to me and offered his hand to help me dismount. I unwillingly accepted his help and dismounted. His strong hands on my waist made me shiver.

Once I was safely on the ground Gisbourne led me through the great heavy black wood doors. We walked down a long corridor and through another set of heavy doors right into a large throne room where upon a single throne in the middle of the room sat a terrible, short, wrinkly, bald old man, the Sheriff of Nottingham.