Chapter 29

"This is so pointless!" I sighed in frustration, giving the bedpost a swift kick. "For the love of..." I quickly realized my error and began hopping on one foot while trying to comfort my now throbbing other one. In the midst of my pain I heard a knock on my door.

"Go away!" I shouted, still holding my foot.

The door rattled as whoever it was attempted to open it.

"Melody, stop being a child and unlock this door now!" A stern voice called through the door.

"What part of go away isn't clear?" I hollered back. Taking a seat in the chair by the fire.

"Don't make me kick it in!"

"I'd like to see you try!" I taunted back, looking at the table I had pushed across the door.

I ignored the loud slams and grunting coming from the other side of the door. I picked up my book and walked to the plush armchair by the window. I felt my mind drift away from my book and out the window to Sherwood Forest where Robin and his band lived. It had been two weeks since I last saw them all. I was eagerly waiting for a sign that I could come join them once more but with each passing day my spirits sank lower and lower. I was taken out of my train of thoughts by the voice screaming again.

"Don't make me get an axe!"
"I'd like to see you try to axe the door down!"
"Melody! Open this door this instant!"
"Make me!"
"Uggg! You're the most infuriating woman to exist!"
"And you're annoying! I wouldn't be your friend even if you were the last man on earth!"
"Oh, grow up!"
"You first!"

"How about both of you grow up. Melody your father will be here in a matter of hours. Please come out of your room," the Sheriff butted in.

"No."
"See? She's impossible! I'm getting an axe," Gisbourne responded stomping off.
"Melody dear? Please come out so your daddy doesn't chop my head off," the sheriff tried again.
"Perhaps that would improve you," I spat back.
"Melody..." he tried again, clearly having a hard time controlling his temper. Through gritted teeth he asked again, "Please come out? You can walk the courtyard if you just open your door now."
"I don't believe you."
"I swear upon your father's coming you can wander the courtyard if you'll just open your door now."

I mulled over the offer and decided I wanted some fresh air. I walked over and moved the table out of the way enough that I could open the door to slip through. I slid the lock back and opened the door to find Gisbourne really had gone to get an axe.

"Will you put the axe down?!" The sheriff hastily shouted.

Gisbourne lowered the axe a hint of disappointment lingering on his face.

"Can I go out now?"
"Yes, yes! Gisbourne please escort her down to the courtyard."
"Is that an order?"
"Yes you idiot that is an order!" The sheriff snapped back.

Gisbourne bit his lip and I triumphantly glided past him and the sherif towards the steps down. Gisbourne followed me, axe still in hand. The Sheriff seeming pleased with himself went the other way towards his chambers.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Why do you always insist on being so damn annoying?" Gisbourne complained as we walked around the courtyard perimeter.

"Why do you care?" I shot back.

"I don't, I just..."

"What's your problem?"

"Excuse me?"

"You don't speak to me for weeks then suddenly come with an axe to break down my door?"

"I didn't realize princess I was supposed to be talking to you. From my understanding you hate me."

"I don't hate you. Highly dislike you sure, but not hate. You've saved me a couple of times, And as much as I don't want to admit it, you're kinda the only person here I can talk to," I admitted, wondering why all of this was pouring out now.

Gisbourne remained speechless. We finished our walk in silence. Royal trumpets tooted and the herald announced the arrival of my "father". I glanced at Gisbourne who looked at a loss for words. Then turned my attention back to the carriage pulling up to the castle steps.

I took a deep breath in and let it out. Okay Melody you can do this, I thought to myself before forcing a smile to appear.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The great hall reeked of ale and smoke. Prince John and the Sheriff were in constant dialogue and Gisbourne was occupied with hitting on some serving girl. I quietly got up and slipped out of the hall and into the cool night breeze.

I shivered as a chill came over me. I took another step into the courtyard letting the bright moon shine on me. Lost in the beauty of the moon I didn't notice the figure approaching me from the shadows.

"Looky here what do we have?"

I snapped my attention to the figure and a smile broke across my face. I followed it back into the concealment of the shadows. Checking to make sure nobody was around I then gently lifted the hood off his head and was engulfed in a warm sweet kiss.

"Will!" I whispered excitedly after he had slightly pulled away.

"Hello Mel," he responded a grin flashing across his face.

He stole another kiss and when he pulled away stared at me with his soft brown eyes.

"Ready to go?"

"Oh am I!" I replied excitedly.

With that the two of use stole off into the night, hand in hand, stealthily heading back to the safety of Sherwood Forest.