Chapter 8.7 - Night of the Vampire pt 7

When Beatrice charged through the security door into the underground parking lot that was currently filled with all manner of very expensive cars, I followed without a second thought. She was one of those people that sometimes just you had to follow and hope for the best, knowing that she had everything under control, but more importantly that she was the most dangerous person in any room.

The garage was surprisingly empty, nobody waiting to attack us.

The other guard was slumped over in a chair, his shirt soaked red with his life's blood in a way that still surprised me. The still spreading pool of blood on the concrete floor beneath him was equally disturbing. I mean, this was a vampire, right? And yet, there he was, dead, just like a regular person.

I guess when you're a vampire fighting another vampire, you might as well be human.

There was a white BMW convertible idling in front of the door, no doubt belonging to the now headless vampire inside. From the little that I knew of the dead woman, having her outfit match the colour of her car would have been perfectly on-brand.

Beatrice scanned the garage carefully, looking or listening for something.

"Did you know her?" I blurted out, finally asking the question I had been holding back. "That woman seemed to know who you were."

"Everyone knows who I am," Beatrice said with a wry smile. She continued to scan the garage. "She really should have known better, and now she's dead, boo-hoo. But her friends are still missing, and that annoys me."

"Friends?"

"Of course. People like her don't work alone. She's not some random psycho slicing up some guards you know. The guy with the bomb was obviously supposed to be a distraction, a martyr to the cause, but now they're forced to improvise."

"Holy shit," I said as the realization hit me. "She was clearing the exit."

Beatrice glanced at me, bemused. "You have a mind like a criminal."

"Damn skippy," I agreed. I looked at the BMW. "There's no way that was the escape vehicle."

Beatrice tossed a key-fob to me, and I caught it. I watched as she

"Go get the car and be ready for me. We might have to leave here in a hurry so I really hope you can drive."

"You're letting me drive your James Bond Spy car?" Holy shit! I greedily looked for it in the parking lot and spotted it two rows over as I pushed the unlock button. It blinked its lights at me, that lurking demon, seemingly always ready to go. And I was going to be driving it. Wait a minute...

"Where are you going?"

"If she was clearing the exit, that means someone is still coming out, and they're definitely not going to be expecting me." Beatrice grinned, clearly looking forward to the fight.

I looked at my girlfriend standing there in her fancy red gown and her new acquired sword, and she was fucking gorgeous in ways she had never been before. If I could have taken a photo of that moment, I would have, that's how perfect it was. It encapsulated all that Beatrice was, all of her deadly beauty and how much she truly loved life.

I think it was the first time that I felt I could actually fall in love with this woman.

"Get the car ready Bob!" Beatrice grinned and disappeared into the corridor. The door slammed shut behind her, leaving me alone with the dead guard.

I turned and ran for the car, heart pounding. The guys were never going to believe how the evening had turned out, especially when I told them that I got to drive this monster of a car.