Chapter 8.3 - Night of the Vampire pt 3

The party was at the Hall of the Drunken King, affectionately known among nightclub aficionados as HTDK.

"What the fuck?" I said, shielding my eyes from the constant strobes of flashbulbs outside the car. "I didn't think the party was going to be here!"

"Biggest party of the year Bobbikins. Where did you think it was going to be held?"

"How about anywhere but here! That's always a good choice!

Beatrice looked vaguely bemused as we waited for the two cars ahead of us to clear the red carpet.

"Harry closed negotiations last night. So tonight, he's got all of the heads of the vampire houses to schmooze and impress. Think international, think wealthy, think major league assholes." Beatrice gunned the engine, and the car roared impressively. "Oh yeah: the mayor might be here, along with a few government officials Harry needs in his pocket, so he wants us all to behave. The Prime Minister might even show up, but he doesn't like Harry so much, so who knows. Anybody who is anybody important is going to be here."

"That's great for them, but not so much for me!"

"Don't worry about it. All you have to do is get out of the car, wait for me to come around, and then we'll walk inside. Together."

She made it seem so easy, and I would have calmed down, except for one thing I noticed as she pulled the car up to the carpet and a flood of flashlights went off.

"Is that the press out there?" I asked. "Holy shit, it's totally the press. We're going to be all over the internet."

"Bob. Stop freaking out. They've got actual famous people here to photograph. I'm just some rich, beautiful socialite and you're my newest boy toy. Relax."

"Boytoy?"

Beatrice leaned in and kissed me hard on the lips. She grinned with delighted mischief.

"I'm a hundred years older than you sweetie. You're totally my boy toy."

"I honestly have no reply for that," I said weakly.

"Good. Now, let's go to a party."

I exited the car and made my way around to Beatrice's side, deliberately weeping my eyes past the crowd outside the metal barriers. She was already there on the red carpet, handing her keys to the valet driver who was trying very hard not to look too excited at the prospect of driving the sexy machine waiting for him.

I got my first good look at how HTDK had been transformed for the party. It had been made over into something epically extravagant. If you've never been to HTDK or seen photos of it, let me just break it down for you. It used to be an old textiles plant or something way back in the day but had been transformed into one of the top tier nightclubs and restaurants in the city. It was all old red brick and high ceilings. The gigantic wooden doors at the front entrance would have looked at home in an English castle somewhere. They were made of some ancient wood and had heavy iron bands at the tops and the bottoms. You know the ones I mean: the same ones you pictured as soon as I mentioned a castle. Those doors stood wide open, the luxurious red carpet spilling out into the courtyard and ending at the street. This was one of the event additions, as well as the well-dressed security that had been added. To me, it seemed to be more for show than anything else. HTDK already had some very effective security, more effective since they knew me by sight and were under standing orders to kick my ass.

Remember earlier when I said I had been thrown off the roof of HTDK? That had not been an exaggeration. I had been thrown out of the place more times than I can count. It is usually the largest hangout for the city's vampires, but it was also the most popular and most exclusive nightclub in the city. The exclusivity thing was because of the vampire thing of course, and even inside, they tried to keep vampires separate from the humans. Vampires went upstairs to the lounge where they could see everything below and engage in their own brand of debauchery: you know, blood instead of drugs, and open discussion without having to worry about hiding. The people downstairs often looked with envy at the upstairs area, plotting how they could gain access, not knowing that it was the last thing they wanted. It wasn't that people got killed or anything, but any human going up there was going to get glammered from here to next year until they had no idea what their own name was.

After my final banishment by Harry, I had spent a few months marching outside the club in a half-hearted protest. I even had signs made up and everything.

Let's just say my levels of popularity are at an all-time low, okay?

There was a woman with a clipboard and a headphone at the head of the red carpet. Her job was to keep the riff-raff off the carpet and tuxedo or not, she was getting some severe riff-raff vibes from me. Either that or she recognized me since she stepped aside with a cautious smile at seeing Beatrice and immediately started talking quietly, one hand on her earpiece, one eye on me.

I glanced toward the security guards at the doors who were suddenly looking very interested in me. Maybe they didn't know who I was after all. As far as I could see, all of the guards were human.

"Hey, Beatrice, do I need to remind you that Harry has banned me from ever stepping foot back inside there?"

"Is that why you're so antsy?

"Just a little. Teeny tiny bit."

Two vampires stepped out from the foyer, their blue eyes distinctive even at this distance. Ryan and Ryan, the ugly twins. They knew exactly who I was, and they knew exactly what to do with me.

"Okay, I'm panicking again."

Beatrice squeezed my hand reassuringly.

"Don't worry so much. An event like this, they won't make a scene in public." That was a relief, but then she continued. "They'll most likely want to separate you from me, and take you down to the basement where they can have some proper alone time."

Ryan and Ryan seem to recognize for the first time that I was with Beatrice. The possibility of real pain and trouble from Beatrice suddenly occurred to them and their identical evil grins faltered enough to give me a small glimmer of hope.

"Is it too late to run?"

"You're with me now, Bobbikins. Nobody is touching you."

That sounded like a threat and a promise, but thankfully, I didn't have a chance to find out what level of hell Beatrice was about to unleash.

"BOB? Holy shit! Is that you?"

I turned and standing on the red carpet in a slinky black and diamond festooned gown that somehow still managed to give off a distinct goth vibe was the last person I expected.

Who do you ask?

Sammy.