Don't Trust The Shape Of The Water II.

[Warning: sometimes very descriptive language]

It had been a few days since Virgil last encounter with the being. When being brought to land he had a short conversation with the other before he disappeared into the deep dark depths of the ocean. Virgil was given no information if this someone planned on returning. Personally, he really wished that he would.

The days on this small island were cold and rough. He hadn’t eaten anything but berries and canned food that was pushed ashore between the broken parts of the ship wreck. So far no animals were to be spotted and even if there would have been any, he was sure he couldn’t have killed one. Hunger was apparent in every little fibre of his body as he sat there, eyes pointed towards the ocean. The icy wind blowing through his damp clothes, stinging his skin like small needles. The clouds had hid the sky for the time being here. No sun to dry his clothes or warm his thin frame. Feeling brittle and weak he didn’t move around much either. Each movement would take the strength which he needed to keep himself warm. The seemingly never ending shaking was in support of remaining his body temperature though he wasn’t sure how much of that was just to fulfil that purpose.

Ever since the water creature had left his fear had returned. Knees shaking as soon as the long tail was out of sight along with his breath quickening and his mind working again. He had remained on the stone only for a couple of moments before biting his lip and jumping into the ice cold water to swim to the small island. Never had he swam at this speed before. Driven by panic of whatever could lurk in the deep, creature or shark, his body moved on his own. The salt water had felt like acid in his eyes but he hadn’t dared to slow down and be potential food. At least on land he wasn’t as vulnerable as he was in the pitch black Sea.

Virgil was nibbling on his lip as if it were food. Bits of dried blood decorating the broken up skin like a small battlefield but he had lost the power to care. He had lost the strength to feel it. It was the only thing his brittle body was able to do without feeling like using the last spark of energy to calm his anxiety. It had ruled over him ever since he landed here. He was unable to do anything. There was no land close by and even if he wouldn’t have dared to swim to it. The sea had grown into a monster that was ready to devour him at any given moment. Ready to throw whatever creature at him that would make him lose his mind or end him once and for all. It was too mighty and strong and he was so weak. The waves crashing onto shore were loud. Louder than the howling wind that was brushing past him, causing him to squint his eyes to prevent them from drying out. It sounded like a thunderstorm without lightning. Ever since he was little Virgil had been scared of thunder.

He froze up even more. He remembered something from his past besides his name. Gasping harshly in shock he broke into a cough, barely audible next to the waves and wind. The cold air mixed with his dry throat would have caused his eyes to tear up if he wouldn’t be this dehydrated. Like thorns the pain wrapped around his throat and body as the coughing fit didn’t seem to end. He wouldn’t have imagined to be able to be even more miserable in his current situation. His limbs started to give in under his light weight as his arm, on which he had been resting while trying to breathe normal again, wasn’t able to carry him anymore. Meeting the wet sand with his cheek Virgil fell to the side. Even this couldn’t stop the coughing fit he was in. The thorns were digging further and further. It felt as if his skin would be scraped off as his stomach muscles were barely strong enough to push those coughs out anymore. Everything was in pain as he curled up to his best abilities.

His hoarse breath was audible between the dry coughs if one would be close enough to blend out the surrounding sounds. With his eyes closed shut it was just as black as it had been in the cave. Quickly he tried to pry his eyes open again to make sure he wasn’t rotting there. The greyish sand was unfolding infront of his eyes along with the grey sky to ensure him he wasn’t trapped inside that horrible cave. Instead he was trapped on a small sand island that had a small dying forest on it.