February 16th

Sunday, February 16th, 2014

Luke

  “Nothing has ever been that amazing,” My mother said, grabbing my sister’s cheeks within her hands and kissing her square on the forehead. “You were phenomenal, Lo.” 

  We stood in the busy entryway of the school, where all of the families and friends who had come to watch the play congratulated the actors who had just come out after a thirty minute wait. We were all squished together, our arms pressed close to our bodies, due to the incredibly large audience.

  The smile on Lola’s face was brighter than ever; her cheeks rosy and her eyes beaming along with her. She squirmed away jokingly from our mother, though once she was free, I was attacking her with a hug myself. Her head only reached below my shoulder, so I was sure to rub my armpit in her face like the loving and caring brother that I was.

  “You did fantastic,” I told her, still keeping her in her uncomfortable position.

  She placed her hands on my chest and pushed away. “And you’re disgusting!” It didn’t take long for her to begin smiling once again, however. “But thanks.” She nudged me in the ribs with her elbow. 

 “It was amazing when you sang Beauty School Dropout,” My mother said. 

 “Why thank you!” 

  My mother looked down at the watch that my father had given her for Christmas eight years ago that she always wore around her wrist. “We have to get back to the shop, but a celebration is definitely in order sometime this week.” 

  “As long as there’s ice cream, I’m A-okay with that,” Lola said.

 “Anything for the superstar,” My mother replied. “Ready to go, kiddies?” 

  I looked over at the front doors. Holly was found with Piper and the Tartaran’s, pulling a wool hat over her hair and slipping her arms into her jacket. She hugged all of her friends and said something to Piper before backing up and pushing her back against the door. 

  “Mom,” I said, “you know what would make me love you forever?” 

Holly

  Once I stepped out onto the school’s campus, the cold air hit me with full force. I quickly zipped up my coat in hopes for more warmth and brought my hat over my ears, leaving my palms over the frozen lobes. The few snowflakes that fell from the sky were a misinterpretation. In such freezing weather, you’d expect millions of icicles to be dropping from up above. 

  With my hands still over my ears, I stood on my toes, which were protected within a pair of boots that I was now extremely grateful to have. I scanned the cars that were entering the driveway; the bright headlights contrasting against the midnight darkness. Looking at all of the vehicles, I couldn’t manage to find my mother’s van. 

  I reached into the pocket of my jacket, abandoning my ear with much regret, and fished out my cell phone. Untangling my earphones, which were always wrapped around the mobile, I texted my mother: 

  Have you left yet? 

  Immediately inserting my phone back into my pockets, I kept my hands within the cushioned materialized flaps as well. I took out my hands for a split second to pull my hat down lower once again; the hem now reaching the bottom of my eyebrows and my eyelashes hitting the wool each time I blinked. As I breathed, I could see my breath departing my mouth in a cold mist; swirling like smoke from a tobacco-addict on a cold night like this one.