May 30th

Friday, May 30th, 2014

Holly

  “I need a study break,” Ed announced. 

  “Have you even started studying?” Piper asked him, tucking her pencil behind her ear and hair. She had recently dyed it a very light pink because, in her words, “what the hell”. 

  Ed, who was lying down on top of his bed, threw his eraser in the air and caught it in his hand for what seemed to be the hundredth time. When he threw it the following time he didn’t aim upwards, yet he aimed at Piper. It hit her smack in the forehead. 

  She gave him the finger while letting out a chuckle. “You’re such a little bitch.” 

  “I agree, though,” I said, setting my science textbook at my side. “I’m in dire need of a break too.” 

  Piper and I had followed Brin and Ed along home after school in order to study for the upcoming finals. For about an hour and a half, the four of us, our books, and a bowl of popcorn occupied Brin’s bed. This had given me the chance to finish writing out all of my history notes and complete a large part of my studying for science. I needed a chance to breathe. 

  Ed reached for the bowl that was sitting in the middle of us. It was now only occupied by kernels. “We need a refill,” He announced as he made his way out of the room and into his kitchen. 

 Flopping down upon Brin’s pillows, I stared up at the fairy lights that she had used to decorate her walls. “What’s new with you guys?”

  “Dean Ashburner asked me out three days ago,” Brin replied. 

  My body shot up in an instant. Piper’s eyes grew an incredible size as her jaw-dropped. 

  “He asked you out?” Piper asked. “Like the whole, hey, movie and dinner thing?” 

  “Paintball and then milkshakes, actually,” She answered. “But yeah.” 

  I asked the million-dollar question. “What did you say?” 

  “Well, obviously I said yes,” Brin said. “It’s not every day that the boy you’ve had your eye on asks you out.” Her cheeks tinted pink. “Every time I would see him walking to Luke’s, I would get all butterfly-ey and everything.” 

  My heart skipped a beat at Luke’s name. It had been four days since he said that he loved me and it had been four days since I had seen him. Seeing as he was rarely absent, I figured that he must have come down with quite the fever in order to miss so much school, especially with it being so close to exams. Or maybe it was because of his dad. It made my heart grow tight knowing that he was grieving and I was next door, laughing and gossiping with my friends. 

  I thought about visiting him after I was finished studying. 

  “Speaking of Luke,” I said. “Have you guys heard from him recently? He hasn’t been at school for the past little while.” 

  All the color in Brin’s face disappeared. Piper’s reaction mimicked our friend’s. Both of their smiles disappeared from their faces. My heart quickened. 

  “What is it?” I asked. 

  “Holly...” Piper began as the door opened once again. Ed stepped into the room holding a bowl with popcorn. Some of the fluffy kernels fell to the ground as it was filled so high. 

  I had lost my appetite. 

  “Wowza, did the mood change in here,” Ed bubbled as he sat crossed-legged on the bed, grabbing a handful of popcorn and shoving it into his mouth.