chapter seven - photogenically dressed

joe's p.o.v:

the whole time we were in the coffee shop, i couldn't focus on anything but ben. he was pretty reserved and quiet most of the time, but he smiled and laughed too. his laugh was like a song stuck in my head that i never wanted out. it blew my mind that i had just met this blonde angel today, and i was already completely awestruck by him. he was a mystery, yet i knew i'd never met anyone like him. we all talked, joked around, and laughed for hours, but the fun had to end when rami and lucy had to head out, which prompted gwilym to leave, which left me alone with ben. we sat in an awkward silence for a moment, tension building in the air between us. he broke it first. "hey listen i gotta go but today was fun. it was nice meeting you," he said as he stood up. he hesitated with his next sentence, but it came out anyways. "um, here. i can give you my number and we can talk sometime." he pulled a pen out of his pocket and scribbled down his number on my hand. i felt a chill go up my arm as he grabbed my hand, and i watched carefully as he wrote down his number on my hand. he paused after he finished, and we both look up at each other, locking eyes. i didn't know what came over me in the moment, but i gently moved the hand he still had a light grip on, turning it so our palms were touching. his hands shook slightly as his hand started to settle onto mine. we both looked down at our hands, which were now palm to palm, resting there. i gently closed my hand around his and pulled him to the couch next to us. we sat down, not realizing that neither of us had let go of the others' hand. i leaned back into the couch and watched ben as he sat staring at the wall in front of him. he looked absolutely stunning in the cafe lighting, and his green eyes were kind of wide, catching the light. i lightly squeezed his hand, and he looked down at our hands, and i felt his grip start to loosen on my hand, so i let go. i really didn't want to, but i did. he pulled his hand away and had it on the edge of the couch. i could see his knuckles turning white as he gripped tightly onto the edge of the couch. i could feel a nervous or anxious energy radiating from him, so i slowly moved towards him and gently rested my hand on his shoulder. he looked over at me, his green eyes meeting mine, and i watched as his cheeks were tinted pink with a blush. i gave him a small but sweet smile before asking him, "do you want me to walk you home?"