chapter five - first words

ben's p.o.v:

"hey guys." was all he said as he sat down and i could already feel my face starting to heat up. he had such beautiful eyes and he looked like an angel. i looked down at my hands, a small smile on my face. lucy was the first to respond, and thank god she did cause i never would've done it myself. "joe, you were wonderful up there!" he let out a small laugh and smiled, which made my heart race. "thanks, it's nothing much though." i looked up from my hands to find him looking directly at me. lucy saw this, and made the introductions, gesturing between us as she did it. "joe, ben. ben, joe." we hadn't broken eye contact, and he smiled as he said, "hi, it's great to meet you." his smile was quite honestly adorable, and i couldn't get much out of my mouth. "hi. nice to meet you too." i felt my face start to heat up and i dropped my gaze to my hands again, fiddling with the sleeve of my sweater. i could feel his eyes on me, watching me, observing every little movement i made. there was a slight awkward pause, til gwilym finally spoke up. "so, joe, how long have you been playing?" i looked up as he said this, my eyes going to joe. you could see in his face as he started to think, and he was mouthing things to himself as he did so. he finally came to his conclusion, responding with, "about 15 years. my parents bought me my first guitar when i was 5, but i didn't actually start learning til about 9 or 10. once i started, i couldn't stop." he let out a slight laugh with the last sentence, and i thought my heart was going to fly out of my chest.

joe's p.o.v:

as i sat down, i took the moment to observe the blonde boy across from me. his breathtaking green eyes were sparkling in the fairly bright lighting of the coffee shop and his hair hung perfectly, with a small strand in his face. i watched a small smile make its way on to his face as he looked down at his hands in his lap. lucy spoke up, breaking the silence. "joe, you were wonderful up there!" i laughed a little, and told her, "thanks, it's nothing much though." i saw ben look up at me and we made eye contact. we stared at each other, and i'm sure he was getting lost in my eyes just as much as i was in his. lucy must've seen this, and she made the introductions, seeing as it probably wouldn't be done by us. "joe, ben. ben, joe." i smiled at ben, simply saying, "hi, it's great to meet you." i could see a slight pink tint to his cheeks as he said, "hi, nice to meet you too." his face turned a more noticeable shade of pink, and he looked down as he fiddled with the sleeve of his sweater. i watched him as he did it, observing every little movement as though it was going to be the very last time i saw him. the connection was broken when gwilym spoke, "so, joe, how long have you been playing?" i had to think about it for a minute, silently counting to myself. as i did i noticed ben watching me, and his stare made me distracted and i had to start again. i finally got through, and i told gwilym, "about 15 years. my parents bought me my first guitar when i was 5, but i didn't actually start learning til about 9 or 10. once i started, i couldn't stop." i let out a small laugh with that last sentence, and i could see a shift in ben's expression. i could see it in his face that he felt the same way i did inside. i was most definitely falling for this boy, and i was too far into the free fall to go back. there's was never a doubt in my mind, though, as i dived headfirst into these feelings.