20

"It's the police, open up. We just have a few questions."

Jaylee

I struggle to keep my breathing as we still keep on running and running making sure that Lewis and the other guards won't reach us. I am finally out. Outside the walls of the place that I had considered home for weeks.

Ethan, Jane and I all stop running underneath a tree as we relaxed ourselves making use of the water bottles that Jane packed for us. "How does it feel?" Ethan asks me grinning from ear to ear. There's an obvious cut under his lips probably from his encounter with Lewis earlier.

I look at Jane and he has this smile plastered on his face too. "Relieving... but I'm quite anxious too. But all good. I should be asking you the same question. You were he one who was locked away for three years." there's that glint of hope and pure happiness in my tone.

I wonder if the two of them notice it too, because they both enveloped me into a tight hug. "It feels fucking amazing Jay, and it's all because of you." Ethan smiles down at me.

"I told you we're going to make it." Jane tells me as we all continued to make our way out of the woods. Apparently, the asylum is located near a forest. But it isn't that isolated, there are few other buildings near it too. We headed onto this direction because according to both Jane and Ethan, it would be harder for the guards to track us out here, and plus, it's also a shortcut.

"So we're staying at my place." Jane announces the same time she tells us that we're close to his apartment. "Thank god. I need to take a shower," Ethan says.

"I feel gross!"

-

"You need clothes." both Ethan and Jane announces after they finish looking at me for about two minutes. 
"Let's go buy yourself some." Ethan smiles. "Though I'm not really good with shopping girl's clothes." He chuckles. "That and we also need to cover up." he adds, nodding his head.

"Cover up?" I ask, confused. "Cover up as in disguise. We can't just leave and roam outside looking like ourselves. We need to be careful incase the staff are actually looking for us." Ethan answers. 

Jane hands me a cup of coffee which she had offered to make earlier. I take a sip placing it down the table after.  "Where's the-" Ethan gets interrupted by an abrupt knocking on the door. 

We all look at each other, like deers caught in headlights. My heart begin to pace quickly again inside my chest. "Who's that?" I whisper. Jane shakes her head, placing a finger infront of her mouth. 

The knocking continues and then later on it turned into banging. Ethan immediately takes my arm leading me behind the couch. Jane looks alarmed. "Go to the backdoor, there's a path there that leads to the forest. Hurry, I'll just lock the door and follow ahead." she tells us.

"But-" I try to ask her to come with us now, but my voice gets muffled by the banging and screaming outside the door.

"Jane Adams? Open the door, this is the police. We just have a few questions."

"Go!" Jane orders and Ethan and I hurriedly make our way through the backdoor. Jane says she will just lock the door. Ethan and I steps outside, the sun's warmth touching our cheeks. We both run into the forest as Jane had instructed. Not too close to Jane apartment but not too far away either that Jane would have trouble looking for us. 

"Are they gonna catch us?" I ask Ethan, as we both stopped underneath a tree, panting. "They won't." he answers leaning his back against the tree. I take a seat down on the floor. "What's taking her so long?" I ask, referring to Jane. She still hasn't followed us out here. She should be here by now. 

Ethan looks across the place, and sure enough Jane is there running towards us, her hands carrying three huge bags. "Are you alright?" I ask standing up from my seat as I take the huge bags from her, Ethan doing the same. 

"Yes, I almost got caught while I was packing all of this but fortunately I escaped." she says, out of breath. "Of course they'd go looking for her. Lewis saw her with us. We're not safe in her apartment." Ethan remarks opening the other bag Jane had brought. "What's this?" He ask her.

"What are we gonna do?" I ask Jane.  "You two are gonna find a place to stay." She answers. "And Ethan, you can eat that later." she tells him. "You're not coming with us?" I ask her, confused. "You can do it alone. You don't need me any more." She tells us.

Ethan and I envelope her in a hug, thanking her for everything. She smiles at the two of us, telling us to be safe. Once she begins walking away, I turn to Ethan. "Let's go to my place." he suggests.

"My house is about an hour walk from here." Ethan says, causing me to groan. "An hour? That far?" I complain, causing Ethan to laugh. "I know you're tired, but you can sleep when we get there."