9

"I just wanted to see you."

Jaylee

Ever since I've said that Ethan's been obsessing about getting out of this place. He keeps urging me to go along with his master plan, his words not mine, and as much as I want to get out of this hell hole, I'm too afraid.

What if escaping fails. Ethan gets tortured just for hitting another patient, imagine what they would do to us if we tried escaping. They would probably kill us. Plus I would have no where to go, my parents wouldn't take me back in a million years.

I look up to the ceiling wondering what would happen if we did escape. Would I live a normal life? What if people find out I escaped a mental asylum?

"Lunch!" My not so nice nurse yells from outside my cell door. I groan, contemplating on whether I should get up or not. I then realised Ethan would probably be down there, and he's the only entertainment I get in this dump.

I lazily stand up and walk over to my door. She scans her card and the door flings open. She escorts me to the cafeteria and shoves me inside, mumbling 'see you in an hour'. I resist the urge to punch her in the face.

Ethan is sitting at his usual table, so I stalk over there, flopping down on the chair across from him. He looks up from his stare, his lips curving into a smile as he sees me sitting down.

"Hey," he grins at me. I chuckle. "What's got you in a good mood?" I ask him. "Just thinking." he smirks. I roll my eyes. "About...?" I ask him.
"About what you said earlier." he tells me.

"I don't know, hEthan." I answer. "I mean escaping? There's no way we'll make it out safe and alive. They'll kill us." I sigh. He chuckles. "I've thought about that you know." he smiles, messing around with his food. I arch an eyebrow at him and he shakes his head. "Come on, don't you want to escape?" He asks me. I do, but how on earth are we going to break out of this place?

I shrug my shoulders while sighing.
"Just think about it, please." he pleads. I melt at the sight of his begging eyes, and I don't know why. It's not like I like Ethan like that. I'll be honest, I do find him cute. I mentally slap myself.

"Why would you even want me to tag along? Wouldn't it be easier to escape by yourself? I would just be in the way." I say, looking down at my lap.
"No you wouldn't." Ethan shakes his head vigorously. "Listen, I like you, you're pretty cool. You don't deserve to be locked up in this place." he tells me. I smile at his words, feeling my cheeks getting hot. Ugh seriously.

"I'll think about it." I say, watching his face light up. "Yes! But please hurry, if we're escaping we need to do it soon." he lowers his voice. I almost laugh at his seriousness towards the end, but I stop myself realising that he is in fact dead serious. "Okay, I'll see you tomorrow." Ethan says, getting up and leaving the cafeteria.

I can't believe I'm even considering this.

-

I open my eyes to the sound of someone banging on my door. I lazily sit up from my bed, furrowing my eyebrows. I slip on my shoes, considering the floor is so cold at night, and get up and walk towards the door.

I wonder who that it, since it's the middle of the night. Rubbing the sleep out of my eyes, I walk right up to the door. I peer my head over the glass window, seeing no one was standing outside my door.

I hesitantly grab the door handle, knowing very well that the door is always locked. I pull it down, and the door clicks, signalling the door is open. What? Why was it left unlocked.

I peek my head out of the room, looking both ways down the hall. There aren't any nurses in the halls and the guards aren't even lurking about.

I notice a shadow figure come into view, probably a nurse coming my way. I close my door abruptly, fearing I might get caught. I lean my back against the door, breathing heavily.

I turn around and look out the window, to see if the nurse is still out there. When I see no one, I open the door again, sticking my head out again. I can't see much because of the darkness of the halls.

A few moments later, I hear footsteps coming my way. A figure came into view and I feel my blood run cold. What if a nurse comes and thinks I was trying to escape? I slowly lift up my head, to see who had caught me.

It was Ethan.

I breathe out a sigh of relief. But what the fuck was Ethan doing here. He has a devilish grin on his face, while his messy hair hangs over his forehead. "Did I scare you?" He smirks my way. I say nothing, just glare at him.

"What happened?" I ask, confusion evident in my voice. He puts his finger over my lips, signalling me to be quiet. He gently pushes me inside my room and quietly shuts my door.

"Seriously? You're trying to escape right now? What if they catch you in my room. I didn't even agree-" I whisper yell, but he cuts me off. "Shhh." He shushes me. "Geez, you're so talkative." he shakes his head. He laughs quietly.

He walks over to my bed and sits down on it, continuously laughing. "Can you please just calm down?" he says, in between laughs. "I'm not trying to escape right now. I just wanted to see you." a blush covers his cheeks.

I chuckle to myself, then walk over to my bed. I sit down next to him, our thighs brushing against each other. "That's sweet Ethan, but what if you get caught?" I ask him. He innocently shrugs his shoulders.

"Who knows what they'd do to you once they see you sneaking back into your room, idiot." I roll my eyes at him. He laughs quietly, shaking his head. "I don't care. Let him torture me." he says. Ethan looks over at me. "I'm still not giving up on my plan of escaping, you know." he grins at me. "Obviously." I say in a duh tone.

Suddenly, the door swings open, revealing not one but two nurses standing in the doorframe.

Oh fuck.