At that time, rogue attacks weren’t that regular of an occurrence. They were to busy trying to form their own rogue packs on unclaimed territories, not leaving much time to attack pack members out of envy and hatred. They must have heard that I, a member of a pack, was staying somewhere in the city, miles away from other wolves that could aid me in the case of an attack. They obviously didn't hear that I was the Beta to the Alpha King.

They jumped me when I was headed back from a late night run in the wooded areas surrounding the city. There were about ten to fifteen of them, half in wolf form, while the other half were in human form. The difference in numbers was no problem for me. What was a problem, was that one of them had a silver dagger that he used to stab me in the gut while I was distracted. I would have actually congratulated him if he wasn’t trying to kill me. He was actually able to land a serious hit on me, which is an extremely difficult, almost impossible task to accomplish. Of all his friends he was the first and only one that was able to successfully land a hit. He was the next to die, and it was not quick and painless. It actually caused three of the remaining seven to run in pure terror.

Normally wolves heal their human bodies at an accelerated rate. Broken bones heal in a few days, while cuts  would heal in hours without a trace of ever being there, unless cause by sliver, wolfsbane, or a more powerful wolf. Injuries inflicted by silver take twice as long, or even longer depending on how serious the injury is, as they normally would to heal and leave scars. Wolfsbane weaken wolves and while in a wolf's system keeps them from communicating with their human side, mind linking others, and slows down healing and scars like silver does. Those inflicted by stronger wolves take longer to heal and that time period increases depending on the rank of the attacker. Those inflicted by Alphas, also leave scars. It acts as a warning to other wolves.

The wound was deep. If the knife used was a regular one I wouldn’t be worried, but since the knife used to stab me was silver, I needed to get it treated. I had located a small animal hospital that seemed to be going under. It was closed since it was late in the night but I could hear signs of movement inside. I banged on the door for it to be answered by Steven. He refused to help me because he was a veterinary assistant, but after flashing him my elongated wolf canines  and yellow eyes, he didn’t dare disobey my order. Afterwards, I made sure he wouldn’t speak about what he saw by scaring him shitless with threats.

I visited him a few time to have the wound checked and we actually started getting along and became friends. After that incident, I would also meet up with him for a beer if I was ever in the area for business. He was curious about my kind and had lots of questions, and since he already knew I wasn’t human and understood that he wouldn’t tell others, I answered them. He also shared how he wanted to be a general surgeon, but couldn’t afford the tuition. I decided to compensate him for his help by paying for him to go to med school. Not to brag or anything, but I’m rich, like crazy rich. Being the Beta to the richest pack there is has its perks. I could spend the amount of money it cost to pay for his tuition on a single shopping trip with out batting an eye. He was able to graduate with the some of the highest grades compare to his peers, not having to worry about money probably helped.

I pulled into the emergency area just as Steven walked out the doors. I jumped out of the truck and ran to the passenger side and threw the door open. I unbuckled the seat belt and swept the girl up into my arms.

She looked dead. Her skin is pasty and devoid of any coloring, her lips are dry and cracking. If I couldn’t see the small rise and fall of her chest, and couldn’t hear the faint beating of her heart, I would think she’s dead.

Steven took one look at her and immediately took charge of the situation. He could also see how close she was to death.

“Follow me,” he said while walking fast, just short of a jog. He signaled for the nurse at the check-in desk to unlock the door that separates the waiting room from the rest of the hospital. I followed behind him as he led me through the halls and into an empty examination room. I laid the girl gently onto the table covered in a white paper sheet.