XXIII

Half an hour later, I'm at the coffee shop round the block.

I know, I know. Archer specifically told me not to go out, and I must be an idiot to walk out into the open arms of death. But I'd rather not spend my last moments looking at bland walls of my penthouse.

Besides, I am due to die at night. I still got time.

I sip my latte, watching people come and go. Office commuter rushing for their early caffeine, tired mothers with their babies, couples on coffee dates.

Archer.

God, how I hated him. It all seems like a lifetime ago, now. The petty fights, the pranks, all of it. Every time I look at his handsome I think what was wrong with me to have hated him in the first place.

Last night was surreal. There was a fire between us, and I had never felt that rush, that need, to be with him, ever before in my life. It frightened me, the first time, but when he touched me, I knew that he was the one. He had imprinted on me, in quite a few days, and spoiled me for any other man.

I watch a man go down on his knees before his girlfriend. The entire coffee shop applauds as the woman nods her happy consent, through tears, and he slips the ring on her finger.

I wonder what it would be like to be loved. Loved truly, not like Tristan's love. Loved, because he chose to, because he decided to spend the rest of his life, loving you. 

I'll never know whether Archer would love me like that, whether his dark eyes would shine with joy when he went down on one knee, whether he would cry happy tears when I walk down the aisle, whether he would vow to protect our child, the moment he set eyes on it. 

Guess I would never know. 

The thought makes my heart clench.

I'm not in love with him, not yet. But I think I might have, given time. I would have discovered him, all his strengths and flaws, and fell in love with him, over and over again. Something tells me that it had always been him and I. 

I've waited an eternity.

I shake my head. It sounded like Archer, in my head, but I couldn't place it. I close my eyes, and I see flashes, of us, together. The bed, the party, and then... The living room. 

I've waited an eternity.

What does that mean? Something happened that day, in the living room, when I was drunk out of my mind. I think someone called - my mother, perhaps? - and I remember being angry. And drunk. A lot drunk. And then, Archer was there, and we kissed?

I've waited an eternity.

Was that a figure of speech? An eternity? He waited an eternity for what? To kiss me? 

My dreams began when I met Archer. My first nightmare even revolved around Archer. He even seemed to know the woman, Klotho, from yesterday's dream. I don't think it is a coincidence. Not after everything I've gone through.

I dial Archer. It rings once, twice, thrice. I dial again. And again. And again.

He doesn't pick up. 

I stand up, pay the bill and walk out of the coffee shop. 

I've got to find Archer Miles.

And fast.

/*\*/*\

I dial his number over and over again as I walk through the streets of Cali. It's a beautiful, sunny day, and everyone's going on with their lives.

'Pick up, Archer.'

He doesn't.

'Ugh!' I want to slam my phone into the sidewalk. It already has a cracked screen, courtesy to my earlier anger management issues, according to eye-witness Archer Miles.

I'm halfway down the block, when I hear him.

'Kaitie!'

I stop in my tracks. Archer's voice seemed to have come form the narrow lane to my right. It looks deserted, and I hesitate.

'Psst. Kaitie. I'm here!' Archer insists. 

'I've called you a hundred times.' I say, still not entering into the lane. 'Why didn't you pick up?'

'I forgot my phone at home.'

Trust Archer to be the idiot. 

'Great. Look I wanted to ask you something. Let's go home.'

Pause.

'Not yet. It's too dangerous.'

His voice sounds faraway now, as if he was walking away from me. 

'Archer? Archer, what do you mean?' 

No reply. Just the sound of his footsteps as he walks away from me. 

'Shit.' I say to myself, as I turn into the lane, following the sound, going the Archer went. I follow the sound, until I hear no more footsteps.

'Archer?' I say. 'Hello?'

Tap, tap, tap of the water. The hum of the busy traffic. 

My reflex actions kick in too late. A blindfold is slipped over my eyes, and my whole world turns dark. Someone grabs my arms from behind me and ties them up. 

The hands leave me as fast as they tied me up. I try to twist and writhe, but the binds are too tight.

I take a shaky breath. The air smells of urine and leftover food.

I can't see much.

Maybe I didn't die at night after all.

'Hello.' I ask, my voice wavering. 'Hello, anybody here?'

Tap. Tap. Tap.

'Hello?'

'Shut up and go on your knees.'

Maybe I die right now.

/*\*/*\