XV

It's like a jackhammer pounding into my head when I wake up. Last night seems a blur and the only thing I'm sure of is that I had way too much beer. 

Thank God I didn't have any dreams last night. I just can't deal with any more of those.

I check the clock. Great. I slept all the way through breakfast and lunch, wow. I really am going places.

I shower and dress and walk out into the kitchen, from where I can hear Archer, tugging away at the pans.

'Hey, Arch - '

A woman - no, a girl - that is definitely not Archer sits at my kitchen counter. She turns around when I walk in, apparently having heard my voice. 

My breath catches. 

I know this girl. I just can't place her, but I was sure I knew her. She has a very, very memorable face. She must be sixteen or seventeen. Her features are sharp, and dark and her eyes remind me of Archer, though they are lined with thick black eyeliner. Her right ear is pierced three times, and her is cut in a punk pixie style. She is wearing biker jeans and a black leather jacket, with chains looped through her belt loops. She has tattoos running up her right hand, the most prominent one being a large, slanted M with wings.

She chews on her gum as her eyes flit over me, in undisguised surprise. 

She is unlike anyone I associated with in my life, and yet she is so, so familiar. Everything about her screams mysterious and dangerous, but she looks laid back and at peace.

Until I notice a bottle of beer in her right hand.

Archer is there too, cooking something. He piles it up onto a plate and slides it over to the girl.

'There you go.'

She stays the same way, her eyes on me, scanning my features, just like I did her's mere seconds ago. Archer realizes that I'm in the room, and he flips his hair, uneasily fingering his shirt collar.

'Yo.' The girl stands, extending a hand. 'Deanne.'

I eye her hand for a couple seconds before taking it. I've never heard her name before. I open my mouth to introduce myself when she beats me to it.

'You must be Kaitie. This guy,' she jabs a thumb in Archer's direction, 'doesn't stop talking about you.'

Whatever would Archer even say about me? I look at him, but he doesn't look at me. Instead, his eyes are focused on the back of Deanne's head, and he is smiling, faintly.

'I'm sorry if I seem rude,' I say, my mind itching to get answers. 'But who are you to Archer?'

That does seems to throw her off track. She glances at Archer for help, scratching her head in agony. 

'I, uh. We, um, I -'

'She is my sister-in-law.'

I blink once, twice, thrice.

'You are married?'

The idea of him having a wife, and possibly kids, stuns me. Archer had never seemed the family type. He had a lot of secrets, the creepy aura and equally dark eyes. He was, to be frank, the last person I ever thought would settle down. 

'Was.' 

One word. Okay, maybe he got a divorce. Which explains why he never brought it up, and the lack of a ring. If the sister looked anywhere like Deanne, hell, she would've been a handful. 

Deanne smirks, blowing a bubble.

'Problem?'

I force a smile. My head feels suddenly heavy, the lights are hurting my eyes. 'None, I'm sorry. I'm going through a bad time now. I swear I'm not a moody person, but now is not the best time. I'll see you around later, Deanne.'

'Hey.' Archer says, picking up a plate. 'Do you want to eat something?'

I wave a hand. 'Nah. I should really stop by my office. Haven't been there in years.'

As I turn away, and walk out, I have a feeling that Deanne is still staring at me. I sneak a glance from the corner of my eye, and I see her, her lips peeling back in a sad smile, as she pulls out a cigarette and lights it.

I know her. I haven't seen her before, but I know her.

I just got to figure out how.

/*\*/*\