XVII

~Kaitie~

'No, Dad. I'm not coming to the goddamn party!'

'Kaitie, I know you're angry and you don't agree with your mother - '

'Understatement of the century, daddy.'

'- but you have to come. Your mother is right, we don't want the paparazzi digging up dirt.'

I fist my hair. I can't believe this. 

'Dad. You mean you are going to pose for cameras and say that you are happy for mom and her new boyfriend, when you really aren't even halfway through the divorce proceedings?'

Dad sighs, and he sounds broken. 'Yes, Kaitie. It is hard as it is, please don't make it harder.'

I take a deep breath. My dad has been through the same pain. I should be the one to stand by him. 

'Yes Dad. I'll be there.'

/*\*/*\

There is a cartload of analytics I have to catch up on, and it doesn't help that the only thing keeping me going were a couple of pancakes Archer whipped up real fast, and caffeine. 

The punk girl that looked familiar, Deanne, was gone by the time I went back home. Archer had responded with a "I-really-don't-want-to-talk-about-it" attitude when I raised the topic of his supposedly hidden marriage, but I decided not to press. He was giving me my privacy, and it was only fair I gave him his.

I really dreaded coming back to work. I was so not ready to face Leah. I still can't believe that she stood by me and went after my boyfriend.

Ex-boyfriend.

I managed to evade her yesterday, but I am apparently not so lucky today. Leah knocks at my door, before strutting in her high heels.

'Kaitie. Good to see you.'

'Can't say the same about you.' I snap, shutting down my laptop. I had a flight to catch in three hours. 

Leah looks distraught.

'Kaitie, please. Let's try to be friends, yeah?'

I pick up my stuff. 'Friends don't sleep with their best friend's boyfriend. But I don't blame you, Leah. It runs in your family, doesn't it? Tell your sister I said hi.'

 And with that, I walk out.

/*\*/*\

'You want me to drop you off at the airport?' 

I look up from my suitcase. Archer's strong frame fills the doorway, his eyes focused on me. 

'That would be great, thank you.'

Archer nods, rolling up his sleeves. 'Do you need help with packing?'

I glance at the minimal pile of clothes. 'No. I'm flying back out tomorrow, so I am not taking much of anything.'

Archer begins to say something, but apparently decides against it. 

'Okay, then.'

I don't know what came over me. It was a feeling of gratefulness, the kind of deep gratefulness you have no idea how to repay and it messes with you. Archer and I may have not been best buds, but he was there for me during the most roughest days of my life. He held me as I cried, pulled my hair back while I puked. 

'Archer. Come with me.'

/*\*/*\

By the time we reach the back gate of our huge house, the guests have arrived and the party has begun. I sneak up into my bedroom, Archer in tow, glancing absentmindedly at the dress my mother chose for me for the evening. 

'You can use Jeremy's room.' I say, pointing two doors left. 'Thanks, Archer.'

He nods again. Archer used to be a very vocal guy, and now he talks very, very rarely. Something is wrong, but I decide not to dwell on it. 

I slip into the dress, trying my best to zip up, but I can't. I decide the zipper has more energy in life than I do currently, and I let it be. Instead tie up my hair and do my makeup.

Five minutes later, Archer knocks on my door. 

'You decent?' He peeks in, his one eye half shut. 'Wow. You look gorgeous.'

I blush. I did clean up well. I neatly covered the bags underneath my eyes so hopefully I passed as human.

Archer looks hot. He always looked great in a tuxedo, and today was no exception. With his chiseled face and haunting eyes, he totally pulled off the Greek God vibe.

'Thank you so much for being my date.' I say, trying to shut my gaping mouth.

'Stop thanking me,' Archer rolls his eyes, and it just made him hotter. 'Shouldn't we get going?'

'Um yeah.' I turn my back to the mirror, my fingers fumbling with the zipper again. 'Just a second.'

'Girls and their shit.' Archer says, exasperated. 'You are going to break it if you pull on it like that.'

He contemplates for a second.

'Wait. Let me.'

I pause. Archer grabs my shoulders lightly, turning me. My back is exposed to him, and I shiver as his fingers graze my skin. My breath catches, and his soft fingers grip the zipper, tugging it up slowly, fastening my dress together. 

I sigh, turning around again, this time facing him. He is so close to me, our chests brush each other. Archer sighs too, and he tucks a strand of my hair behind my ear.

I look at him. He is so gorgeous. My eyes are drawn to his lips, and I itch to close the distance. 

'We have to go.' Archer whispers, his lips brushing mine, the slightest contact making my toes curl. 

'Mm.' I mumble. My mind  is a mess, and I am not drunk. Archer is affecting me, and I was sinking into his abyss.

One heartbeat. Then another. And another.

'Come on.' Archer pulls away in a blink, turning around with determination. 'We are late already.'

I stumble after him. I raise a hand to my lips, and they are still tingling.

What the hell just happened?

/*\*/*\