~ The Cephalopodic Slaughter ~

Roan p.o.v.

My name gets called. Seriously? I was only pointing out to Meghan that she was slacking, her reaction may or may not have forced me to get firm. If there's anyone who should go then it's her for riling up anger. Lost in my thoughts, I forget to listen and don't hear the name of the person that I have to compete against. "And we're starting now." That's all I heard Jeremiah say. I could literally strangle that guy. "Everyone is invited to gather on the upper deck." Jeremiah smiled. That creepy damn smile... There is definitely something eerie about him. Just the fact that he always smiles and his eyes are just really bright. Okay, I'm noticing I'm starting to slack off, I'm just so in shock about my name that I need to focus on something different, even though I know I shouldn't. I cannot... I cannot! The audacity of these dumb people voting me in to die?! I need a break...

We gather on the upper deck and Kraken takes me and Lucas, my fellow challenger, up to the tip. And it ties us to the tip with a rusty rope, I didn't even know ropes could rust. "You can do it Lucas..." I'm hearing Espen say carefully. I see Lucas smile, so I turn around and groan at Espen. I roll my eyes and look at my feet, which are now tied to the boat. "I can't believe this is real." Lucas says to me. I nod at him. He must be scared, but we both want to win this, don't we? I shrug it off and try to forget that he's also here, so I don't have to feel so guilty. "Now that you're both tied to the ship..." Kraken said. "You need to dive down and find a very special item hidden somewhere underwater." I look back at the other eight people watching us getting ready to jump. Rose is holding Espen's arm, she's obviously still debating whether we're really dying or if this is part of the game we've been invited to. My thoughts are interrupted by Lucas, "Wait," he said. "Did you say... In the water?" I roll my eyes again and look at Kraken for a response. I can't show my fear of the deep sea, people may find me heartless. But I have fear, and love, I love my parents right? But I can't hold back now. It's time for bravery mode. I feel a push to my back and the Kraken pushes us off into the ocean. I softly curse to myself before I hit the water.

I swim back up immediately, so does Lucas. "Ugh! This is so frustrating!" I say. "Maybe we should work together," Lucas responded. I think about that for a moment. And I look down into the sea, I could use some help. "Maybe we should..." I say. And together we dive down again. We look around, and I notice Lucas pointing towards a shimmery object stuck between the rocks. I look at Lucas and I realise he was never there when I was having fights with Meghan. I feel much more confident about his loyalty and I slow down a bit to let him lead me. There's a bottle between the rocks with a message in it. Lucas grabs it and looks at it. I notice his other hand get stuck, I rush to swim towards his hand and free it. I remember when I was young I got my foot stuck underwater so I split the rock with another loose rock. But there's no loose rocks here. I try to pull out his hand, but eventually I notice, it won't get out. I look at the bottle and take it. Lucas his eyes widen. I let go and swim up with the bottle, I look back and I see Lucas frowning at me, his head red of rage. I reach the surface and I hold up the bottle. "I have it!" I yell, gasping for air. "That is the special item!" The Kraken says. "Congratulations Max, you will live." It's creepy slimey smile gets wide and I shiver. I climb up with the rope and when I get up I look down at the water, I see Rose and some of the other people lean over the side of the boat to look at the water, which is now coloring red. Lucas his glasses float to the surface and a leg floats up. Rose gags and I throw up. "That could have been me..." I whispered to myself. The Kraken hands me a squid-shaped figure, it's black and emmits a purple light. I hold it and look at the board game. I put it on spot 7. "Is it over now?" Esmay asks.