17. Small Town Witches

Talia marched into the living room and plopped down on the couch. She mumbled curses under her breath when she picked up her phone. She needed some bestie advice.

Talia: Hey! What are you up to?

Jeremiah: Just sitting here wasting away waiting for my best friend to call telling me she made it to Georgia.

Damn! She'd forgotten to call to say they made it.

Talia: I'm sorry. I'm a bad friend.

Jeremiah: At least tell me you've experienced the movie star experience.

Talia: The what?

Jeremiah: You know rode his shooting star...

Talia: Yuck! No!

Jeremiah: Aw come on. I'm banking on you telling me if he's got a double digit peen

Talia: Jeremiah...

Jeremiah: or a sad single digit that wilts to the left

Talia laughed. This was exactly what she needed. Distraction from Zeke and her feelings.

Talia: You are too much

Jeremiah: That's what he said last night!

Talia: TMI...

Jeremiah: Ok...Ok...So tell me why you are texting me

Talia: I needed some bestie distraction

Jeremiah: What's wrong?

Talia: You were right when you said things could get complicated

Jeremiah: Feelings?

Talia: Yeah

Jeremiah: Yours or his

Talia: Mine. I doubt he has any feelings for me. I have to keep reminding myself this is just a game. This is just pretend.

Jeremiah: Is it still?

Talia stared at her phone. She didn't know how to answer that question.

Jeremiah: Do I need to come rescue you?

Talia smiled. If she said yes she had no doubt that he'd jump on a plane and come get her.

Talia: I'm a big girl, Jeremiah. Just gotta build my wall up some

Jeremiah: Be careful. He just might be aiming for that wall on purpose.

Talia: Funny. I gotta go. Miss you. Love you.

Jeremiah: Miss you too. Be careful love. Protect your heart.

Talia stared at her phone. His advice was easier said than done.

"Lia?" Zeke was standing behind the couch.

"Yeah?"

"Can we-"

"Can we what?" Talia turned and looked at him. He had a funny look on his face.

"Never mind. Addie is going into Grandin to get some groceries. Did you want to go with her?"

No she didn't want to go into Grandin. She hated the small town she grew up in. However, did she want to stay on the ranch another second. No.

"I'd love to go. Let me get my purse." Talia climbed the stairs to her room getting a small reprieve from Zeke.