Chapter Seven

Italics are signing. 

I looked up from the little elephant in my arms after calming down the heat that had raised to my cheeks and I looked over at Mark who was walking over to the bed that I was currently sitting on. He smiled at me and I nervously smiled back. He just called me cute but I don't think he knows that I heard him. I was not meant to hear it.

"So what do you want to do today?" He suddenly asked me and I decided that it was best to pretend like nothing was said. He probably didn't mean it in any romantic way, he compliments me all the time. I should just act normal. 

"Do you want to play video games?" I asked him and he smiled before nodding and standing up. Good nothing needs to be weird between us. It's not like he just called me cute and now that I think about it, he called me beautiful last week too. Maybe I'm reading into this too much. Mark put in the game before starting it and I recognized it as 'Kingdom Heart' and I smiled. This was my all-time favorite game. It's a classic. 

"Okay, you can start playing while I go get some snacks for us" He explained while giving me the controller and I nodded. I looked towards the screen and smiled once the beginning cut scene started. I haven't played this game in a long time. The last time I played, Mark and I were maybe ten years old. I had finished the entire cut scene once Mark walked back into the room with some popcorn and a few sodas. He gently placed the food on the bed before smiling at me. 

"I now get what you mean by missing all this. I really missed walking into my room and seeing your concentrated face. I haven't seen it in years" He said while sitting next to me and I smiled at him. 

"I don't do a face when I'm concentrating" I pouted while crossing my arms and Mark laughed before patting my head. I do not make a face!

"You definitely do a face," He said between his chuckling and I frowned. Mark noticed how upset I looked and hugged me. I sighed, maybe I do a face. 

"Just feed me some popcorn. I need to beat this game before I leave here" I told him and he chuckled but followed my request. I smiled at him before going back to the game and letting him feed me some popcorn when he saw fit. This is our normal. 

~~~~~~

It had now been a few hours of playing video games while cuddling into Mark's side and I had finally finished the entire game. I'm really good at this game. I looked at Mark once the ending cutscene came into play and he smiled while taking the remote from me. I lay in his arms while he changed out of the game and put on a random movie. 

"Today was really fun. It was just like old times" Mark said while holding me in his arms. I looked up at him and nodded. 

"I missed this so much. I've missed you so much. Why were you very distant this week?" I asked him and he sighed while playing with his hair. 

"I was really busy helping the freshmen. You will not believe how many of them were lost in the halls. Then I had a big project due. I was really busy" He explained and I sighed. That does sound like a really busy week. 

"Promise me that we will never drift apart. No matter how busy we get with life, promise me we will always make time for each other" I asked him while looking into his eyes and he smiled a little. Mark has never been one for breaking promises. 

"I promised Mads. With everything I have in me, I promise I will never let us drift apart" He told me while taking my hands in his and I smiled. Mark would never lie to me and would never break a promise so I was satisfied. I laid back into his arms and we looked toward the television for a few minutes before Mark asked me something. 

"So, how are things going with Cody?" He asked me suddenly and I raised an eyebrow at him. I know he doesn't like Cody but I'm glad he's at least making an effort.

"Everything is good. We have been spending a lot of time together this week and he even asked me to be officially his girlfriend" I explained to him with a bright smile and Mark nodded. 

"That's really good. I'm happy for you" He stated while trying to smile but it didn't reach his eyes. I don't understand why he doesn't like Cody. He's a great guy and he makes me happy. 

"Hey, I know you don't like talking about Cody so we don't need to. Tonight is about us, not about him" I told him before placing my hands on his and Mark smiled slightly. 

"Do you remember when we used to say that we would get married?" He asked me and I giggled. I do remember when we used to plan our wedding. I remember that day, we were sitting under a tree in the park. We would always meet there every week and talk for hours. We were making plans for the future and what high school would be like. It's one of my favorite memories. 

***

"I want to grow up and have four dogs. Maybe even two kids, one of each gender if that is possible" The little brunette explained to the brown-haired boy sitting next to her. The boy smiled while playing with some leaves that had fallen from the tree they were sitting under. 

"You'll need a husband to help you with all those kids," The little boy told the girl and she shook her head. The boy could understand everything the little girl was signing but he hasn't completely mastered the art himself.

"I don't need a husband. I'll be marrying you. We promised we would always be together remember?" She said with a smile and the little boy grinned. He liked that idea very much. It would be them together forever. 

***

"I'll never forget that day Mark. But you know that we were never serious right? It's just kids being kids" I explained to him and he looked down at his bedsheets. I looked back toward the television and laughed at the funny scene on the screen. 

"Do you ever wonder how the future will really turn out? Do you believe what we dreamed could come true?" He suddenly asked and I raised an eyebrow. Where was this coming from?