CHAPTER 17

CHAPTER 17

MASAMA ANG tingin ni Andre sa daddy niya na nakatayo sa paanan ng hospital bed. Kasama nito si Nanay Tasing.

“How did you know we’re here?” Tanong niya dito.

“I have my ways, son.”

“What do you need?”

Napabaling ang daddy niya sa mommy niya. “Are you feeling okay?”

Tumango lang ang mommy niya.

“Dad.”

Bumuntong hininga ito. “Okay, okay. I have to tell you something very important.”

Iniwan muna niya ang mommy niya kasama si Nanay Tasing at dinala ang daddy niya sa canteen ng ospital.

“What is it, Dad?”

Tinitigan siya nito. “I will transfer eighty percent of my shares in all my business and investments under your name.”

Nagsalubong ang kilay niya. “What? Why?”

Sumandal ito sa upuan. “Have you forgotten what we’ve talked about years ago? You, me, and Andrew?"

“Talked about what?” Magkasalubong ang kilay na aniya.

Umirap ito. “We made a deal. That who among you can give me a grandchild first, I will give you eighty percent of my shares. You agreed with that. And Andrew.”

Tumaas ang kilay niya. “Am I sober that time?”

"Yes."

Pilit niyang inalala ang araw na iyon.  Biglang nawalan ng emosyon ang mukha niya. "I thought that was a joke, Dad."

Umiling ito.“Of course not. Now that you have Reese, I can transfer my shares under your name.”

“Why not give it to Andrew?” Puno ng sarkasmong sagot niya. “You love them the most, right? You even sent my mom to jail because she’s still seeing me.”

His dad leaned on the table, confused. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

Bumuntong- hininga siya. “You found out that mom was still following me here in the Philippines. And since you have this fvcking restraining order, you sent her to jail. She was imprisoned for five fvcking years, Dad. So don’t act like you don’t know anything.”

Nagbaba ng tingin ang daddy niya, nag- iisip. Kaya nagpatuloy siya sa pagsasalita.

“She was released after five years and she can’t find a job because of her records, and you ruined her name in some companies so she can’t apply. She became a house maid for three years and a janitress for two years. Her family turned their backs on her because of your claim that she's having an affair with her past boyfriend, which is not true. You listened to Leticia rather than my mom. How fvcked up is that?”

Napakurap- kurap ang daddy niya. “She still have contact with her lover. That’s why.”

Pagak siyang natawa. “Because of a fvcking letter? She tried to love you Dad. She tried not to read those letters because she tried to love the man who violated her! And that’s how you will repay her? Listen to her bitch best friend instead of listening to her?” Hindi na niya napigilan ang galit niya. “She was even a virgin when you have her.” Pabulong na aniya. “How about that bitch, huh? What if Andrew wasn’t even yours?”

Umiling ang daddy niya. “He’s mine. And I’m sorry about what happened in the past. I just love your mom, that’s why I did what I did.”

“The end doesn’t justify the means, Dad. You violated a woman who has a boyfriend. She was somebody else’s property, not yours. But she still tried to love you. I know you felt it, too.”