Instrumental Case (Творительный Падеж) - Basics - Cases 1

WARNING: Cases are an advanced topic, if you are knew to Russian or can only form basic phrases I recommend learning more first.

Right, now we've got the greenhorns running away, tails between their legs we can get down to business.

Russian cases or 'падежи' (pa-de-zhee) are the building blocks upon all other Russian grammar functions; I am not perfect at these and they are very difficulty but the instrumental case is the easiest to learn in my opinion, so I will teach it to you.

Different cases have different word endings, for instrumental the rules are as follows:

If the word ends with 'a' then this will be changed to 'ОЙ' but if it ends with any other letter that isn't 'e' or 'o' then it will end in 'OM.' 

Examples:

Девочка - девочкОЙ

Лодка - ДодкОЙ

Человек - человекОМ

Кот - котОМ

There are exceptions and the excluded letters have their own rules but for now, I just want to give you the very basics.

"But товарищ..." I hear you thinking "What do we use these spellings for? What is a case?" A case determines the ending of a word based on how it is used in a sentence; the instrumental case changes the endings of nouns that you are 'using' or 'with' hence the name 'instrumental.'

Sentence examples:

Я пишу с ручкой - I am writing WITH a pen.

Я видел человек с котом - I saw a person with a cat.

It changes because the noun is being used, or is with something; if you don't understand yet, switch off your device and go to bed. You need to recharge that faulty brain. 

A shorter chapter but concise (I hope) here are some other words for you to genetically modify, see you next time!

Собака

Птица

Стул

Нож

Планета

Компьютер