Lesson 6: Time/Counting

Welcome back friends, today we will be learning the Russian numbers up to ten, the months, and the days of the week! So sit back, fall off your chair, get back on it, and pay attention! First: we will cover the numbers up to ten.

Один - One - A typical O-Switch word, but other than that, this should be easy. Pronounced: Ad-een.

Два - Two - This one might be a little difficult to wrap your tongue around if you aren't too good at the spoken language. Pronunced: Duh-vaah.

Три - Three - Probably the easiest to remember, it sounds exactly like a plant! Pronounced: Tr-ee (Rolled R'.)

Четыре - Four - Simple enough, but always strain the 'ye' sound on the end to be safe. Pronounced: Chit-eer-ye.

Пять - Five - Another simple one, each of the numbers ends with a soft sign from now up to ten, don't forget! Pronounced: Pyat.

Шесть - Six - The Russian language unfortunately likes to put sounds that don't flow together as the first letters of a word, so again, some of you may struggle. Pronounced: Sh- yest.

Семь - Seven - Very easy, if you can't say this, then you should stick to English... seriously though, just leave. Pronounced: Syem.

Восемь - Eight - Seven with a 'Vo' in front. Pronounced: Vo-syem.

Девять - Nine - Very easy to get confused with our next number, be careful. Pronounced: Div-yat.

Десять - Ten - One letter different from the number nine, remember the difference! Pronounced: Dis-yat.

Next, we will go through the days in a week!

Понедельник - Monday - the most awkward word for Monday I have ever seen. Pronounced: Pon-yid-il-neek.

Вторник - Tuesday - I'm going to make a name for these awkward words that start with odd letters now: Ughs, careful people, this is an Ugh word. Pronounced: Vuh-tor-neek.

Среда - Wednesday - A nice and simple word, sounds like it could even be English. Pronounced: Srida.

Четверг - Thursday - Let me take this moment to tell you a Russian pronunciation rule: if a word begins with the 'Ч' letter, it is pronounced as a 'Ш'. Pronounced: Shet-verg.

Пятница - Friday - Just remember this my friends, this day begins with 'pyat' and it's the fifth day in the week. - Pronounced: Pyat-neetsa.

Суббота - Saturday - An odd word with two 'B's'. Pronounced: Soo-Bot-a.

Воскресенье - Sunday - The day of rest is an exhausting word to say, Russian tongues must ache by the end of the week! Pronounced: Vus-kree-sen-ye.

Next, we will go through the Russian months. Hint: they're basically the same!

Январь - January - Sounding like some sort of Nordic battle-cry, we have the first month of your Russian year, Pronounced: Yan-vaar.

Февраль - February - The month of my birthday! Pronounced: Fiv-ral.

Март - March - A 'mart' is a market, remember this one that way. Pronounced: Maart.

Апрель - April - Yet again, fairly simple, don't forget that the soft sign softens the 'ye'. Pronounced: Ap-ril.

Май - May - The same word but in Cyrillic, however it is pronounced much different. Pronounced: My (as in the word.)

Июнь - June - Be thankful! Russian months are very easy. Pronounced: Ee-yoon.

Июль - July - The same word with an 'L' instead. Pronounced: Ee-yool.

Августь - From this point on, the words are pretty much identical to their English counterparts. Pronounced: Av-goost.

Сентябрь - Don't forget to roll the R' still! The end of these next few should sound like a purr. Pronounced: Sent-yab-urr.

Октябрь - October - If you've seen 'The Hunt for Red October' you will now scream, as they incorrectly spell the Russian word for October as 'Октыавр'. Pronounced: Okt-yaburr.

ноябрь - November - The pronunciation is changed up a little here, the soft sign softens the 'O' into an 'A'. Pronounced: Nai-aburr.

Декабрь - December - Last month of the year! Pronounced: Dik-yab-urr.

Okay everyone, that's the end of our lesson today, it was good to get a meaty helping of vocabulary into this lesson, I'm not sure what to do next, most probably something relating to nationalities and country names! But in the meantime, I encourage you to rage at that scene from Red October.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWPBr4L1eyE (But seriously, see the film, it's great.)

(I DO NOT CLAIM TO OWN THE FILM, OR ANY RELATED TRADEMARKS.)