Lesson 3: Conversational Vocabulary/Phrases

Okay, so we have a few of the basic principles of Russian (hopefully) memorized by now, it's time to work on a few of the more advanced phrases/sentences; no swear words yet!

Как дела? - How's it going? - Pronounced: Kaahk-Dyilaah. A quick and easy greeting, this phrase should allow you to open any door in terms of approaching natives, think of it as a... conversational crowbar.

Всё хорошо! - All good/All is fine - This will be your positive response response to 'Как дела', and shows that you are finer than shredded cabbage in Borscht (look it up) beware! O-Switch word! Pronounced: Vusyo-kha-ra-sho.

Нормольно - Fine/Okay - For when you want to avoid a conversation (don't lie, I know you do) this is also a good response if you're in an average mood. Pronounced: Naahr-mal-na.

Не хорошо - Not good - So picture this: you're wandering the streets of Moscow after being ripped off by a taxi driver (it has happened to us all) and you've lost your wallet, but luckily, you speak Russian. Somebody asks you what's wrong? And this is your response. Pronounced: Nye-kha-ra-sho.

А ты? - And you? - A useful basic phrase for casual interactions, use this to politely return the question after answering with your appropriate response to 'Как дела?' Pronounced: Aah-ti?

У тебя есть вода? - Do you have any water?/Do you have water? - I know it's a little basic, but if you know a few other Russian nouns you can slot any in to replace the 'Вода' to ask a different question. Pronounced: Ooh-teebya-yest-voda?

Okay guys... Now I know this isn't a mature page but I will teach you a few insults, enjoy!

Ты козёл! - You goat! - In Russian, calling somebody a 'Goat' is actually considered pretty offensive, it has connotations of being dumb and dirty. Pronounced: Ti-kaz-yol.

Собака! - Dog! - Again, animals seem to be offensive in this language, by calling somebody a 'Собака' You are essentially calling them mindless and dirty. Pronounced: Suh-ba-ka. And a female dog is a 'Сука' (pronounced: sooh-ka.) Just take a second to realize what I've just told you how to say... but moving on!

Блин! - Damn/Pancake -Not an insult per-say... but it is a food item. The reason this is considered a little unpleasant is because it is the family friendly version of a Russian swear word, I recommend looking it up if you're interested! Pronounced: Bleen.

That's it for today everyone, I hope you learned a little more, next: Russian Nouns!