Chapter 27

Chapter Twenty-Seven

I have officially been made over.

When Jennie told me we were going to the movies, I didn't even think about the fact that I was wearing my normal every-day clothes.

When she dragged me upstairs and stuck me in front of her wardrobe, I nearly died.

The first three outfits that she pulled out for me went back in without even being tried on. After I managed to convince her that I was, in fact, okay with the idea of borrowing her clothes and looking normal for a day, she continued. That was after I also made it clear that I wasn't wearing anything even remotely revealing.

First thing we decided on was jeans.

Damn but they're comfortable. I own a pair of trousers, for helping outside during the winter. These jeans are something else. They hug my thighs and buttocks and cling to my hips. It's a good thing that Jennie and I are pretty well the same size.

I refuse to try on the fifteen string tank tops and halter necks she begs me to model. If I happen to run into one of my grandfather's friends, although unlikely, I want to be dressed appropriately. They're less likely to comment to him then.

God, I hope I don't run into anyone!

It's the only panic I've had about it all, but then I figure since Hyorin was the one who invited me, I have an excuse. Besides, I have to confess to being so excited about going to the movies that I actually don't care. If he finds out, he finds out.

I'd even be willing to take punishment on this one. It would be worth it.

Eventually Jennie finds me a long-sleeved top with a round neck that I'm willing to wear. It's a lot more skin-tight than anything else I've ever put on, but it's nice. She insists on a belt, which is red and studded, and then looks at me approvingly.

I do a little pirouette, rolling my eyes but laughing.

"Well, it's a start," she says.

"It's a lot," I correct her. "Thank you."

"Meh," she smiles at me. "You look good. We need to get you out of the burka more often."

"Jennie... it's not a burka... that's... probably an incredible insult to the Islamic faith." Because Jennie is normally so tactful.

"Well, fine," she pouts. "We need to get out of the Mary Poppins garb more often!"

"That'll do."

"Pig."

"Huh?" Is she calling me a pig?

"That'll do ,pig... it's a line from Babe."

"What's Babe?" I ask.

"You don't know Babe?" She looks incredulous. "Oh my..."

"Jen... can it!" I'm kind of sick of this. She knows that I'm fairly sheltered and, in a way, I wish she'd stop acting so surprised when I'm unfamiliar with things. In her defence, she takes it well when I tell her to leave it be.

We appear at the bottom of the stairs and Hyorin looks at me with an appreciative smile. "You look good, Jisoo. It suits you."

"Thanks," I say, self-consciously rubbing my thighs.

I've been in a car before; rarely, but I have. There have been a few church functions and the like and my grandfather occasionally borrows a church friend's car to get some gardening things we cannot carry.

The Kim family car is a massive SUV that I practically have to wear abseiling ropes to get into. It's far more luxurious than anything I've been in before, and I enjoy the drive to the giant mall on the other side of town.