Chapter 11

Chapter Eleven

On the way to Jennie's house, I realise that I know very little about her. I think she has a sister in the grade below us; in fact, I'm almost certain she does.

We walk along together through the afternoon sunlight and Jennie doesn't seem to feel like chatting. I keep the silence. It's hard for me to start conversations since my grandfather always finds it rude. I'm quite happy to be quiet.

While we walk, I rack my brains for the name of her sister and wonder why she's not walking home with us. Oh yeah, Kyla, that's right. Her sister's name is Kyla. She seems nice, although a bit too much like Krystal for my liking. I know she's a cheerleader in the junior squad.

What else do I know about Jennie? For someone who avidly collects information about the girl, I haven't come up with much. She's rich, I know that. I don't even know where she lives. It's not like my grandfather lets me wander around on my own, or like I've had any occasion to find out.

My grandfather and I live on the outskirts of town in a house that's fairly old. Jennie is taking me in the complete opposite direction this afternoon. We're heading into the richest part of town, which I like to think of as 'Nob Hill'. Even with my strict upbringing, I giggle secretly at the entendre there.

It's a nice leafy thoroughfare with not too much traffic.

"I don't live too far, just up there." Jennie nods in the distance but, as it's all houses, I can't really tell which one she means. It's the first thing she's said to me since leaving school.

"Cool," I reply. It's not exactly my normal mode of speech but I'm willing to give it a try.

The houses along here are huge, at least compared to what I'm used to. Most of them are like something out of a movie, all giant white buildings with curved driveways and huge landscaped gardens. I'm trying not to let my eyes bug out because that would be seriously un-hip, but these places are enormous.

It's only four houses before she says, "This is it."

Yeah, it's enormous. It's a mansion and it's her house. I feel totally out-of-place already and we've just started up the driveway. I know she's rich, but it occurs to me that I don't know why she's rich. I know nothing about her family, but there's a glimmer in my memory banks that suggests that her father isn't some kind of businessman like every other house owner on this street.

I let the thought go as my eyes drift across the landscape. I guess it must show on my face because Jennie lets out a small chuckle.

"Yeah, it's something, ain't it?" she says, in a self-mocking tone. I look at her and she rolls her eyes. "Pretentious crap."

"Well, you live in it." I can't help the teasing tone that falls out of my mouth. I think it surprises both of us equally.

"Yeah," she smiles again. And her nose crinkles up in that adorable way and I feel my stomach give.

Whatever happens from here on in, today was totally worth it, just for this moment.

The inside of Jennie's house is no less impressive: marble floors with white walls, inlaid ceilings and I believe I spot a chandelier in the distance.

"My step-mother hates it," Jennie chuckles. "She thinks it's gaudy and shit, but my father likes it. He likes anything that makes him feel rich."

I look around. Given the furniture, the house itself and everything else around, it's damn obvious that he is rich. I don't say anything, though: that would be rude.

As I follow Jennie to the back of the house, I pass a series of framed posters that stand out like a sore thumb. I can't help slowing down to look at them. Each is a tour or album poster for a group I've never heard of, Purple Venom. Of course, I've only heard of the Beatles because my grandfather once launched into a diatribe against them, so it's not unusual that I'm in the dark about any pop group.