Chapter 40

Chapter Forty

"Who did you kiss?" Jennie looks at Kyla, and then at me. "Who did she kiss?"

"Jennie..." I swim towards her, biting my lip.

She turns her head and lets out a breath. "Jongin." One word. And then she turns and leaves.

I glare at Kyla, who looks petrified, and I get out of the pool. Jennie is walking towards the house and I grab a towel so that I can chase after her, calling her name.

I catch up with her before she gets to the door.

"You knew?"

"I saw them," I admit.

"Great. Thanks. Nice to know where your loyalty lies." She shakes off my arm and stalks inside.

I'm infinitely grateful for the fact that there's no-one on the way up the stairs as I chase her down. I'm still wet, and only the towel around me is keeping the water that's dripping down my back from reaching the floor. Jennie, however, is dripping everywhere.

She slams the door on her room but she doesn't lock it, so I chase her in.

"I was going to tell you!" I say loudly before she can say anything. "I just hadn't found the right time."

"Yeah, right." She turns to me. She's furious.

"Jennie, I saw them kiss. I knew you'd be mad. I've seen you exactly twice since then. Yeah, I'm sorry I didn't tell you earlier but I really was trying to find the best way to tell you."

"Thanks," she replies bitterly.

I sigh. I decide that I may as well get this all over at once.

"Jongin kissed me."

There's a silence that extends for far too long. I have a feeling I've just ended the only relationship I've ever had. Pain extends through my chest and I try not to move because of it.

"Jongin. Kissed. You." The anger in her voice is almost solid.

And the pain lances through me.

"He asked me to prom," I rasp out.

The pain is sharper now. I haven't felt this for nearly a year. Somehow, Jennie has kept the pain at bay. Having her in my life has been a soothing balm to the panic and pain that had previously been my life.

And now I'm about to lose that... wholesale.

It hurts.

"I said no," I rasp out. Her face hasn't changed. She's still stonily furious and not giving an inch.

And I can't stand it any more. I put my hand over my chest and lean over. The pain is thudding and I can't breathe.

I've always been able to control myself, but I haven't had this for the longest time. I can't handle it. I can't handle the fact that I've fucked up and I've lost her.

I've lost her.

I fall to my knees and feel rather faint. I can't draw breath into my lungs and I think I'm about to pass out.

"Jisoo?" Her voice is on the edge of hearing. "Jisoo, what's wrong?"

"I'm sorry," I squeeze out with the last of my breath.

And then everything goes blank.

When I come to, I'm on Jennie's bed and the pain has dulled to an ache. She's dressed now, but I'm still in my bathing suit. Taeyang is hovering at the end of the bed and Hyorin is sitting next to me holding my wrist.