Chapter 20

Chapter Twenty

My grandfather, so predictable and by the book, surprises me. It's happened before, although probably less than the fingers on one hand. He surprised the hell out of me on Wednesday night when he told me I could go to Jennie's for dinner tonight and that my curfew was nine.

That's five and a half hours at Jennie's house. That was an outcome that I'd previously considered unthinkable.

A further surprise follows as I am in the front hall putting on my school shoes. My grandfather appears with a paper bag shaped like a long, flat box. Handing it to me he says, "It would be very impolite to attend dinner at the Kim' household and not bring something. I purchased this for the purpose."

My eyes widening in shock, I take the package.

It turns out to be a box of chocolates. I have no idea what kind of chocolates they are since I'm not really familiar with them but they look nice from the outside.

"Thank you, sir," I say in awe. This is totally unexpected.

"I could not possibly have you embarrassing us. I know, at least, that your table manners are impeccable." He smiles at me almost fondly, and I try not to show my shock.

This is the strangest exchange I have ever had with my grandfather. And there is a part of me that thinks he feels guilty for punishing me over being late. In fact, I'm almost convinced of it. I can't say what it is, just a sixth sense from knowing him so well.

He's trying to make it up to me.

Well, I certainly won't be late home tonight!

"I considered wine, but I think it would be improper for you to attend school with alcohol in your possession."

"I believe that would be against the rules," I jest with him.

He smiles again, a soft friendly smile. "Yes."

I can't help, once again, marvelling at all the contradictions as we walk to school. Sometimes he's so chalk and cheese. He's strict and then, all of a sudden, he's permissive and helpful. I wonder if someone's talked to him but then again, he has no one to talk to. It's all very confusing.

He waves me goodbye at the gate with an entreaty to behave myself. I assure him I will comport myself with the utmost grace, and I also promise to be home by nine on the dot.

Jennie was quite happy when I said I could come over, and nearly as surprised as I was I think. We don't really have a chance to talk much during school. She has something on with Krystal during lunch and oddly I end up spending that time with Jongin. I don't know if Jennie asked him to keep me company or what but he sits at my lunch table in the corner and starts talking to me.

I don't mind actually. He's a nice guy. I'm still torn between the fact that I kind of like him as a person and the fact that he's dating the girl I have a crush on. I walk an uneasy line and try not to enjoy his company too much.

By the end of the day, I'm literally skipping. Jennie is in my last class, and she waits for me at my desk this time, a contrast to the last time I went to her house. I remember that day. Things have changed a bit since then: now, she actually more than tolerates my presence; and, in return, I'm able to string more than a sentence together while talking to her.

"Uh, I hope you like spaghetti," Jennie says as we walk out of the classroom. "That's what we're having for dinner."

"I eat anything," I assure her.

"Yeah, but do you like it?"

I pause. "I don't think my grandfather ever makes spaghetti, he's more a meat and three vegetables kind of man."