Part Two: Chapter Eleven

Start from the beginning

I scan the Resistance group thoughtfully. "Can I look for Danny?"

"On your own time, of course."

I mull the idea over in my head, slipping my hands into my back pockets in thought. They all seem stable enough, they have a plan going, and they're settled in excellent headquarters that'll probably hold up well against the undead; and has so far. I knew I wanted to stick around to see if Danny did eventually show up. Plus, I could always leave if I wanted to. Although I guessed I would need a new car.

I smile. "Okay. I'll stay."

Giggles and words of welcome spill out of everyone's mouths; a new recruit, how exciting. I find myself still smiling as they begin casually talking amongst themselves when Sam appears by my side, holding up a tiny, yellow-colored clip. "Where do you want it?"

"What?" I respond blankly, tucking my hair behind my ear.

"Tragus it is!" In a flash, Sam reaches to my exposed ear, and I feel a sharp prick in the fleshy lobe in the middle of my ear.

"Ow!" I cry out, startled. I reach up to my ear, feeling the piercing. "What the hell is it?"

"Tracker," Ace grins excitedly. "I'll register you on my laptop right away. We all have them." He spins around to reveal the back of his neck, where a small, bright blue gem blinks back at me.

It's then that I notice Belle's and Chloe's matching nose piercing. Duke's lower lip has his tracker, Oliver's eyebrow flashes ruby, and Sam's is the only traditionally placed earring; stuck in her earlobe. I examine Sam's closer. "They're so small...who made these?"

"Ace, naturally," Sam nods to the Asian boy, who has a wide grin plastered on his face. "Only seventeen and a total tech-genius. We'd be screwed without him."

"What time is it?" Belle asks; Chloe glances at her watch.

"Almost ten. We still have to check the generator."

"There's plenty of sunlight to burn," Oliver begins. "Maybe we could go out today for those supplies."

"We need to get some rope for the new ladders first."

"And take down the stairs. Defense should definitely come before studying our new friend." Duke pats my shoulder. "There should be plenty of power tools in the garage."

"We still have to eat."

"Someone should do a grocery run."

"And get rope while they're out."

I dig through my first-aid kit as they talk and re-bandage my wrist with fresh gauze, finishing with a tight knot. Sam looks overwhelmed. "I need some paper to write this all down..." She heads for the kitchen.

"Hey," Chloe grabs my arm and starts pulling me down a side hall. "Belle and I are gonna show you to your room!"

"Alright, sounds good." I'm led through the living room into a hallway that branches off to three different rooms; the first on the left was to a bathroom—seven of us with one bathroom—but I'm taken to the bedroom on the right. Another door on the other side of the hall remains closed. I let out a low whistle. "Damn, this place is bigger than I thought."

"And it still isn't big enough to accommodate seven people," Chloe mutters, running a hand through her bangs. "With Ace's equipment..."

"The equipment is necessary," Ace instantly defends from behind us.

"He keeps track of where we are at all times," Belle explains. "He does research like Oliver—"

"But less observation and more compiling," Ace finishes. "I'm sifting through articles at the moment to create a timeline of the virus spread," he goes to the closed door on the other side of the hall. "See you ladies later."