Skyler winked at Nicole and had pride in his eyes. He knows that was a huge effort on Nicole's part. I really think they needed a bridge to each other. I feel like that's what I've been ever since Lucas revealed my existence. We are dysfunctional to say the least, but we are family like it or not.

April and Jace sprinted into the waiting room out of breath. "Mama, I'm so sorry we're just getting here. We got stuck in traffic. Hello Nicole and Natalie, I'm glad you're here. How is Daddy doing?" April spoke as she was taking off her jacket and handing it to Jace.

"Daddy is still in critical condition. They put him on a ventilator. He had a stroke, baby. We don't know if he's going to make it, darlin." June spoke staring blankly.

April buried her head into Jace's chest and screamed, sobbing. He embraced her, whispering comforting words. He is such a loving husband. I'm happy he's my brother-in-law.

Miles stood next to me. "You want to take a walk? I think you need some air." He kissed my forehead as he put my hand in his.

"Go with Miles. I'll stay with June, get some air." Nicole shooed me away. I was stunned. My brother volunteered to comfort Mimi. This day has certainly not turned out the way I could ever have imagined.

Nicole stooped down next to June. She looked at her with compassion, then took her hand and patted it gently. Before we could leave, Dr. Bentley entered the waiting room. "Are these all family members here?"

"These are my three daughters, my mother-in-law, and my sons-in-law. You can speak freely." June quickly spoke up.

It was as if we had restraining orders on our mouths, we were speechless. She was gesturing her arm in a sweeping motion, as if introducing us. My father's stroke really affected her. She didn't even wear her trademark pearls today.

She was so out of character. But it humanized her, she was so down to earth.

Dr. Bentley took a seat in a chair to address everyone in the room, as he crossed his legs. He had salt and pepper hair, with green scrubs and a white lab coat. His name was embroidered on the coat pocket in black letters. I was concentrating on the stitching trying to avoid his gaze. He had a very authoritative presence.

I observed the waiting room for the first time. The walls were painted a moss green with a white chair rail. The chairs had a floral fabric design with purple, green, and gray. The chairs were made of cherry wood.

There were several arm chairs and seating at a round cherry wood table. A flat screen TV hung on the wall. Magazines were neatly arranged on the coffee table. It was a very comfortable waiting room. I was noticing anything not to hear bad news.

The doctor's beeper sounded. He checked it. "Excuse me, I'll be right back." He used the phone at the nurse's station. It was very busy in the hallway.

A female voice on the loud speaker announced. "Code blue, code blue!" I was hoping it wasn't my father. June held her trembling hand with a tissue up to her nose. We all remained still, like wax figures.

Dr. Bentley saw our anxious eyes. "That was another patient. Mr. Dunbar is still hanging in there." We all let out a collective sigh of relief.

"What is my husband's current condition? Can we go in and see him?"

"Your husband suffered a hemorrhagic stroke from a weakened blood vessel leak. Blood spills into or around the brain creating swelling and pressure. It damages cells and tissue in the brain. It was great that you called 9-1-1 when you did, Mrs. Dunbar. It's giving him the best chance at survival." He drew us a picture of the brain and a diagram of what happens with a hemorrhagic stroke.

"This morning his face was drooping. Then, he was having difficulty with his speech. One of his arms became weak and I called 9-1-1." June filled us in on what happened.

He's been under a lot of stress.

"You possibly saved his life." Dr. Bentley looked directly at June. He reassured her that she is the reason Lucas is still here.

"He'll be in CCU. You'll be able to go in and see him briefly. He still isn't conscious. A stroke is a brain attack, it's a lot on the body. He's very fortunate to have a large loving family for support in his recovery. He's going to need a lot of rehabilitative therapy." The doctor gave a small smile, as he squeezed June's shoulder.

We all thanked him, while soaking this all in. He was whisked out of the room by a nurse. Miles looked at me, while rubbing his tired face. He hadn't slept last night. He placed his hand comfortingly on the side of my face, moving his thumb over my cheek. Everyone looked spent. I know June wanted to be with her husband.

A nurse came to escort June to see Lucas. "I'm sorry, but only one visitor for now."

We understood under the circumstances. Miles stood behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist, placing his stubbled face next to mine. Skyler sat on the sofa with Nicole resting her head on his shoulder and her hand on his chest.

Jace stood with April, holding her close as she broke down quietly in his arms. Logan sat with his arm around Mimi, as she stifled her sobs. There was a heavy impenetrable silent gloom that hung in the air.

*****

Votes And Comments Appreciated ❤️