Chapter V: Strange Soccer Match

CHAPTER V: STRANGE SOCCER MATCH

"It's lunch time, what do you guys want to do?" Aerith asked.  

"Well... anybody hungry?" I announced. Nobody answered, they just remain seated lazily on their chairs playing with whatever their holding, obviously bored.  

"I take that as a no, so Crystal and Jade, mind giving me and Aerith a brief tour of the school?"  

"Sure, why not?" Crystal declared, rising from her seat.  

We exited our classroom and went outside, the sun's finally shining. Sending waves of warm pleasure through every inch of my being, consuming the frustration I had from the horrid weather that passed.  

I took a deep breath, absorbing the refreshing heat. No way can I resist doing this. So I sprinted to the soccer field and gave out an excited laugh.  

"Let's see who can get there first!" I yelled as I ran faster.  

They started to run too, but of course I'm still at the lead. I'm almost there, a smirk emerged across my face. Then before I could even blink, a sudden burst of air blew my long black hair, covering my face. I stopped and removed my hair from my face. I thought my heart stopped on sight of someone bolted so fast that she beat me at our race by a second! I stared in awestruck as she turned and revealed her face.  

"Hahaha! I won!" She boasted with a huge grin.  

"Aerith?! I can't believe you could run that fast!" I shouted in amazement.  

"Yeah, I've never seen anyone run that fast." Jade joined me in awestruck.  

"How did you do that?!" Crystal added.  

"Umm... I used to join marathons in my old school." Aerith explained reluctantly, like she's trying to form the words, which was pretty obvious that she was lying.  

"Hey Saphire! Catch!" I heard Jade yell, I turned and saw a soccer ball hurtling towards me. I grabbed it before it could hit my face. That was a close one.  

"Anyone want to play a quick game of soccer?" I asked with a mischievous smirk.  

"Yeah!" Aerith cheered.  

"Wait! Just give me time to breathe! We ran so far!" Crystal exhaled breathlessly.  

"This school is huge ya know!" Jade exclaimed.  

My smirk just grew bigger because of my advantage of regaining strength because of the sun. And the heat was scorching hot. I took my time scrutinizing the enormous field and the white bleachers that is wrapped around it, creating a bowl figure. The perfectly trimmed grass swayed with the soft breeze.

"Ok, let's play!" Jade announced.  

I placed the ball on the ground and put my foot on it. I glared at the ball, filled with confidence to win. I visualized myself doing so.  

"So what are the rules?" Aerith asked sarcastically.  

"Well the mechanics are the basics, hit the ball to the goal and you score. But all of us are enemies, there is no teaming up. I and Crystal get the north goal while Jade and Aerith get the south goal. I repeat, you score only for yourself. Got it?" I declared urgently.  

"Got it." They all replied simultaneously.  

"Then let's start." I proclaimed as I threw the ball into the warm summer air.  

We all struggled to reach the ball, but Aerith managed to kick it first. She ran to the goal while kicking the ball with great speed. She was so fast that we couldn't catch up to her. Then she scored. We stopped running and panted.  

"Yes!" Aerith shouted in glee as she practically fist pumps the air.  

"Yeah, lucky shot." I said impassively.  

"Thanks!" She replied.

Next round, Jade got the ball first. She's still far away from her goal and it looks like she doesn't give much effort on kicking the ball but it darted so fast into the goal. I barely caught it, but I managed to get a grip. Now I have the ball, the opportunity to score. I ran to my goal and Aerith ran next to me, trying to steal it. No way is she getting this from me; we struggled on the ball for a few minutes.  

When it seemed like she already caught the ball, to my luck, she suddenly tripped. I laughed and ran faster towards my goal. Then I suddenly tripped! How did I trip? There was no hindrance in the ground to trip me and I'm definitely not that clumsy to stumble on my own feet. When I recovered and got my eyes back on the game, I watched Crystal get the ball. I tried to stand up, but I can't! Something's binding me in the ground! I turned to check my foot and I gasped at the sight of it sunk under the ground. How could it possibly sink into the ground?! The field isn't even sand, its grass. I pulled my foot out of the dirt and grunted at my dirty sneakers. I stood up to discover the ball is owned by Jade. What happened to Crystal? I searched the field and saw her lying on the ground. Did she trip too? What the hell is happening to this field? Why are our feet getting sucked into the ground?!  

Except for Jade... she scored. Crap, now both Aerith and Jade have scores while I'm left with zero. No way am I losing. I'm going to use my power; I don't care if it's cheating. Losing is not an option.

Next round, finally I was the first to get the ball. I got closer to my goal, made a clear aim. I concentrated on the heat inside the ball. I kicked it with as much force that I could give. Because of the intense heat inside the ball, it nimbly shot like a comet. Jade tried to block it, the moment she touched the soccer ball, she immediately lets go. "Hehe, burned." I snickered. So it's score for me. Jade shook her hands.  

"Ouch, why was that ball so hot?" Jade asserted.  

"Oh nothing, I just kicked the ball." I replied, wearing an innocent smile.  

She gave me one last curious look before going back into the game. This time, Crystal got the ball first but I easily stole the ball from her. Jade, Aerith and Crystal ran closer to me. Trying to steal the ball, I'm almost to the goal! Just one last kick! I suddenly halted when I felt the wet raindrops touch my head. I looked up and saw dark clouds lumbering above the soccer field. An automatic scowl was splattered across my face. I can't believe this! I was so close to winning! I hate rain!

"Well, I guess we should head to the showers and get dry." Crystal requested.  

"We ended up in a tie." Jade said.  

"At least we had fun!" Aerith exclaimed optimistically.  

"Yeah, whatever, let's just get out of this pathetic rain." I ranted as I walked to the buildings.  

All I cared about was winning, and I was so close to my victory! When we finally reached the shower room, I promptly grabbed a towel and dried myself. But Crystal didn't get a towel, she just entered one of the stalls instead.  

"Ugh, we were having fun till the rain decided to show up..." I complained as my eyes narrowed.  

"You better get used to it. You are in Chicago after all." Jade replied with a smile.  

"Yup, it will soon be fall then winter." Aerith added.  

"Winter... the coldest season, I don't think I could endure the thought of snow hitting my skin." I said with a shudder.  

Then the stall door opened right behind me, I turned around to see Crystal completely dry.  

"How did you get dry so fast?! You didn't even have a towel." I said incredulously.  

"Oh, I have my ways." Crystal replied coolly with a mischievous smirk.

_________________________________  

that was a long chapter!  

please COMMENT AND VOTE!~  

thanx for readin :D