Chapter Eleven-Decisions

I'm up at six and pecking Peter on the lips before slipping out of bed and into workout clothes. We were up a little later from me telling him everything and while I feel a little lighter after telling him, I'm no less conflicted. I kiss Mercy's forehead too before jogging outside. It's brisk in my shorts and sports bra, but the rising sun is warm on my skin. Spring could hurry up just a bit more in my opinion. After a quick stretch in the dew-covered grass, I'm jogging in the direction of the front doors like I usually do. This time, however, I pause. I'm really not in the mood to argue with Steve right now. Instead, I start running by myself in the direction of the river. Since Steve, Sam, and Bucky usually run the path around the facility, I'll keep to the path going up and down the Hudson. The water is soothing anyway.

Breeze cool on my face, I'm turning on my fifth and final lap when I nearly run head first into someone. My hand reaches up and grabs their shoulder so I can flip over them and not run them over. "Christ, Sam!" I scold slightly breathlessly as I land on my feet. He grins sheepishly at me and shrugs.

"Sorry, Jo, but surprising you is the only way I could catch up." He tells me and I shake my head with a smile tempting my lips. Sam's always so bouncy. It's infectious. "Wanted to see if you knew why our resident Captain is so moody this morning?" My near smile disappears and Sam's eyebrows raise.

"Why don't you ask him about it?" I ask and start walking down the path with him at my side.

"Oh, it's like that is it?" He questions and a heavy breath leaves me.

"We had a sort of fight last night," I reveal and he hums. Apparently, he'd already ascertained that. "I'm considering an opportunity that Steve doesn't want me to take. Considering. He wouldn't even let me think about it before putting down his seal of disapproval." Sam chuckles and sways into me playfully.

"Did he say why he didn't approve?" Sam asks. My shoulders lift and fall.

"He said he didn't think it would be good for me. But I've been deciding what to do with my life since I was twelve! Sure, I've made some mistakes, but I've learned a lot too." My eyes go to the muddy water glimmering in the early morning light. "It hurt that he didn't trust me to make the decision myself. Doesn't believe in me," I admit.

"I think you're looking at this wrong. It's not that he doesn't trust you, but that his protective side is winning out over it. He cares about you." I make an ugly bleh sound at that and Sam laughs at it. My eyes meet his warm brown ones and I stop in the middle of the path. He steps in front of me and stops too.

"It's not just that. He brought up the plane." My voice is quieter than before. "He knows what that did to me, but he brought it up anyways. To prove a point? To win an argument?" I shake my head. "I don't know, but I'm pissed whatever his reason."

"Jo, I'm not saying you don't have a right to be angry, but reevaluate this. We both know you've said quite a few things you shouldn't have in the middle of a heated argument." Sam retorts and I roll my eyes.

"Sure, I've called him an asshole, but I've never hit below the belt before." He looks at me skeptically with an eyebrow raised.

"I've heard you call him Bucky's bitch before." Sam reminds me and I chuckle softly.

"That's not below the belt, that's just true." I shoot back and Sam grins. "Look, I'm not saying I'm going to be pissed forever. I'm just going to be pissed until I'm not pissed anymore. Nothing anyone can do about it."

"Ugh, fine." Sam groans. "But I hope you keep in mind that the reason you two argue so often is that you're too much alike." I shove him with a grin.

"I'll accept that." I agree and now we're rocking back and forth as we shove the other. We're to the front doors and I'm winning the shoving contest by dodging his attempts when we come across the blonde super soldier. My eyes pass over him as if he's not even there and Sam sighs heavily next to me in opposition. "Hey, Bucky." I greet him happily and he shakes his head at me knowingly.