Chapter 19-Her Majesty

Chapter 19

Her Majesty

"Torah, you must tell the king." My lady, Mona, tried to persuade me.

"How many times have I carried a child and it come to naught but heartache and shame?

Why would I raise his hopes up only to disappoint him?" I argued.

"He will know soon enough. You are beginning to show. You have known for months. Is it not why you wanted Betheny gone? To protect the true heir." Mona added.

"Yes. I know. And she leaves in a month. The wedding is taking longer to plan than she thought."

"She stalls. Why can the king not see through her trickery?" she said, shaking her head in disbelief.

"He loves to see the best in people. She is no exception." I looked up and noticed there was a lady standing near us in the gardens that I did not see. "Where did you come from child?" I asked her.

She curtsied. "Forgive me, majesty. I bring a note from the Countess. She would have an audience with you."

"An audience. For what reason?" I inquired suspiciously.

"More that that. Does she think that the queen should come to her?" Mona scoffed.

"She only ask a time that is good for your majesty. Of course, she would come to you if it is your desire." The messenger answered.

"I actually do not desire to see her at all. But I am curious to see what she would say. Have her come for supper." I told her. She curtsied and went to do as I bid her.

"Come. Let us prepare you to see your guest." Mona said with sarcasm.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betheny

"Are you sure?" I asked Iola. I had sent her to take the queen a note. She came back with news that would shock me.

"Yes, my lady. I stood there and heard quite clearly. She wishes not to tell the king lest she lose this child as well. Which is likely knowing her past."

"How far?" I wanted to know as they pulled my curls out until they were loose and hanging down my back.

"Months. She is beginning to show her lady says. Though a full dress can hide many things."

"True. That must be why she has started to wear them. She has always worn dresses fitted to her perfect shape and form." I shared.

"To torture us who have flaws I have always thought." Iola answered.

"No doubt you are right. Now, if she has a child, my sons' claims to the throne shall be for naught. No, we must do something to stop this. She must not have this child. Send to the kitchen for cakes topped with cinnamon. And cinnamon sticks for tea."

"What will that do, my lady?" Another of my maids asked.

"I remember girls I grew up with who did not value their virtue. More than one of them found themselves with child. They swore by using cinnamon to end the pregnancy. I saw with my own eyes that it did work. I cared for one in our barn for the day until she was able to return home. This should work." I announced. "It must be done quickly. For once she is past her early time, it loses the wanted effect. And we do not know how far she is."

They all began to whisper about what I had said. "Keep it in mind ladies. I often see your eyes wander about court. I am glad the king was my first and only. It allowed me to enjoy cinnamon cakes without worry." We all laughed as they completed my dress with jewels. From there we headed to the queen's apartments.

She welcomed us in but I knew she was not happy to see me.

"I shall not pretend to know why you are here. When I summon you, you refuse my call. I think I have been very generous in not having you thrown in prison." She warned me.

"I apologize if I have offended your majesty. First, might I present some cakes and tea for your majesty as a peace offering." I turned and the servant brought them and sat them on the table.

"What type of cake?" she asked.

"Cinnamon. Your favorite if I recall correctly. From when I had the honor of being one of your closest ladies."

"One of them, yes. Thank you for thinking of me. Come and sit." She said, softening.

"I came to apologize. I know that my having children by the king has gone hard on you. I only wanted to please you and my king. I think I may have lost my head and thought myself more lofty than I ought." I confessed.

"You will hear no argument from me there." She answered as we were served the cake as we waited on the meat and vegetables for supper. I watched her take a bite and smiled.

"Well, I am here, your majesty, to apologize and to ask for you help with my wedding."

"Help?" she asked, sipping her tea.

"Yes. You are known to throw a grand affair. My mother is here helping. But I would love your words. On my dress especially. As a soon to be bride."

She was weary. As she should be. She did relent and agree to help. Yet, all I could think is when she would miscarry this child. And hopefully she would lose more blood than before and join her children in heaven. Making me queen. I know he would choose me. We were a family. It would be the only way to truly legitimize our sons.

When we were done, I returned to my room, prayed and waited for news.