☾ Chapter Thirty

Start from the beginning

 "It's very different than the training we're used to," one of the best fighters, Alaric, said.

I smiled, lightly chuckling, I definitely understood that.

"Yes, it is very different isn't it?"

"How have you been since you've been here, Rhea?" Trevor, another member asked.

"It's taken some time to adjust but, this place is starting to feel like home."

A few of them frowned at my words.

I tilted my head in confusion, "Is there something wrong?" I asked.

They exchanged knowing glances around the table, suddenly making me feel uneasy.

"It's just... why don't you come home?" someone asked from down the table.

I pursed my lips, "I can't go home."

Alaric frowned, "Rhea, I think you should come home. Your family misses you so much; there's no need to be noble and help these monsters with their pack." 

I stared at him; a look of horror filled my face.

"These monsters?" I whispered.

"I didn't mean it like that; they're just so different from us," He trailed stopping when he saw my face contort in anger, "Look, you should really come home," he stated again.

"You've always been so kind, Rhea."

"Yeah, we don't want to see you hurt. Come home."

All the members at once started telling me to come home, making me feel overwhelmed. Finally, I snapped.

"Why? So we can continue living in our bubble? Blind to the things that go on around us?" I spat, my voice filling with anger. "I will not go back and abandon this pack."

The men looked down, shame filling their faces.

Alaric finally spoke up, "I think I speak for everyone when I say I don't understand why we're here. We do not want to put our lives on the line for people who are not in our pack."

I sat there in disbelief, was this seriously happening? 

"If you do not want to be here, I am not going to force you. But, it would mean a lot to me if you chose to stay," I tried to sound firm.

"Rhea, come home," another fighter, Flint, said.

"This is my home," I frowned.

"Why? Because you're studying under some healer? Come back home and be our healer!"

"No, this is home because I am Alpha Jett's mate," I replied.

Their eyes grew wide, slowly taking in my words.

"I know rejection is hard, but once you're back home the pain will stop, you'll be too far for it to affect you," Alaric said, some other men nodded to his words.

My mouth dropped open, "What?" I spat, "I have no intention ever to reject my mate." 

Silence fell over the table. 

"It's not..." Alaric began to trail before deciding against whatever he was about to say.

"I have a family, Rhea, I don't want to leave my children without a father," someone spoke up from down the table.

"I want to be able to see my mate again," someone else said.

I sighed, "I'm not going to force any of you to stay, but please reconsider before you leave."

Some of them nodded their heads; others sat quietly, but the tension was thick. There's no way I could make 30 pack members stay when they thought so lowly of the pack that had taken them in.

"That's that then, we'll be leaving," Alaric said softly.

Tears filled my eyes; it hurt to know that not a single member wanted to stay and help. It hurt knowing my pack wanted nothing to do with anything but our pack.

"Fine." 

All thirty men slowly stood up from the table, taking their leave.

I laid my head against the table; I couldn't believe that just happened. I couldn't believe they all left.

I sighed, guess it'll just be me.

Would I be enough? I didn't have strength or endurance, sure that was changing, but the plan had involved a group of Moon Valley members, and none of them stayed.

Maybe this was a shit plan all along; maybe this was destiny telling us not to change the system because there was no way to change it.

I let out a frustrated groan, suddenly not hungry. 

I got up from the table and began walking back to my room.

Outside, I saw the Moon Valley members get into cars to take their leave.

I glared at them, feeling a sense of betrayal for their actions. Maybe it was selfish of me to think they'd be willing to put their lives on the line for a pack they knew nothing about except the rumors that surrounded them with.

Cowards.

I marched up the stairs in Jett's house, stomping to my room and angrily slammed the door. 

I pulled out my phone, dialing my dad's number.

"Rhea! My sweetheart, how are you?" He asked excitedly through the phone.

"Everyone fucking left," I spat, not bothering with the small talk.

"What?"

"Every single fucking member left. They didn't understand why they were here, so I told I was Jett's mate and I wouldn't force them to stay, but it would be nice for some help, and every. single. member. left!" I screamed through the phone. "How could they do that? How could they just leave? Are we really that selfish of a pack?" I screamed again, I could feel my blood boiling. 

"Rhea, you need to take a deep breathe," my dad calmly said through the phone.

"No! I don't want to calm down; I'm furious dad!" 

He sighed, "Screaming will do you no good. I'm sorry that they do not want to stay and fight, but that is their decision."  

"I'll do this alone then!" I spat, hanging up the phone.