Chapter Nine // Comfort

Danny woke up, laying on the sofa in the L/N resident. There was an ice pack on his forehead, keeping his skin cold. Y/N was beside him, holding his hand.

"Hey." She said with a small smile.

"Hey." Danny answered.

"Are you okay? Sam called me and said you were being beat up by Dash. I was so worried." She held his hand tighter.

"I'm fine. There have been worse beatings from him." Danny reassured her. His body was hurting everywhere. There wars a bruise on the left side of his jaw.

"I'm going to kick his ass tomorrow." Y/N replied. "I'll make sure he doesn't mess with you again."

Danny lifted the top half of his body to sit up, it caused pain to shoot up his ribs. Y/N placed a hand on his chest. "You're gonna hurt yourself. If you need anything, I can get it for you."

"Some water would be nice." Danny laid his head onto the pillow. Y/N ran towards the kitchen. He listened to the faucet run as she filled up a glass cup with ice in it. She came back with the water in hand and a couple pills.

"I brought you some Tylenol. It'll help with the pain."

Danny smiled weakly. "Thank you, Y/N. Where are Sam and Tucker?"

"They had to go home. They'll stop by tomorrow. And you're not going home tonight. So you should tell your parents you're spending the night at Tucker's. You can use my phone since Dash destroyed yours." She handed the phone to him.

"Thanks, Y/N." Danny said before dialing his mom's cellphone number.

"Hello?" His mother's voice asked through the phone.

"Hey, Mom. I'm going to be spending the night at Tucker's. We have a school project that we're doing in Mr. Lancer's

"Okay, Sweetie. But don't stay up too late because you have school in the morning. I love you."

"Love you too." He hung up the phone.

"Since you're staying the night here, I'll put a movie in for us to watch. But I do warn you, I'm a sucker for Disney movies.." Y/N said with a slight grin.

"When will you parents be home?"

"They won't. They're on a business trip for the week." Y/N replied. She went over to the movie shelf to grab a movie. "I picked out a classic. The Lion King. And if you don't think it's the best Disney movie, then I'll happily fight you on that." Danny couldn't help but laugh.

"Okay, works for me. I'm just gonna close my eyes for a minute." He closed his eyes.

"I'll go make some popcorn." Y/N made her way to the kitchen and Danny was left alone.

The weeks towards the winter formal were drawing closer and Y/N had been working with Vlad Masters everyday for a month. It was long since Danny had gotten beat up by Dash and he was healing extremely well.

Y/N wished she could hangout with Danny, but the mayor was taking up all her time. It was more filing and filling out paperwork than anything else.

It seemed as if the internship didn't matter anymore. She was thinking about dropping the whole thing instead of letting her grades sleep.

She was currently in Vlad's office, organizing the filing cabinets. She was putting everything in alphabetical order. As Y/N was organizing, she noticed one folder in particular.

It struck her as odd and didn't seem to fit in with the other files which were mostly business transcripts. Y/N had pulled it out of its spot and noticed her name written on the tab.

That was weird. Why did Vlad have a file dedicated to her? Y/N opened up the folder. Most of it was just school grades and credit transcripts. It talked about her achievements on the debate team last year. There were newspaper clippings from the Casper High Gazette, all of which were centered around her.

Then she found health records with her name on them. The paper talked about her birth date, blood type, birth parents, social security number, her house address.

Y/N noticed a journal entry within the file. She decided to read what it said.

After months of painstaking research, I've finally found the one. I'd been keeping track of her for a long time. She is the key to succession. But how do I get her to trust me. Surely there must be a way to lure her in. I cannot let my research become useless. I must warn her trust, all great things come to those who wait. After several months of constructing and reconstructing a clone, no DNA matches had been successful. They mostly came out deformed or simply just fizzled away. For once, I will make no mistakes. I will succeed my goal and nothing will stand in my way.

"I was wondering when you would stumble across research. You're a smart girl. Too smart for your own good. I can see why Daniel likes you." Y/N felt a shiver crawl down her spine. The hairs on her arms stood at the sound of his voice.

Hesitantly, Y/N turned around to look in his cold eyes. "You were using me."

"So you've noticed. You're probably wondering what this whole internship was about. I'll tell you a little bit about myself. When I was in college, I was friends with Maddie and Jack Fenton. We'd done everything together...until the incident that ruined my life. The imbecile known as Jack ruined my life. His one mistake costed me my future. It was supposed to be Maddie and me together. We should of been married. I was shunned by people and forced to live my life in solitude thanks to these powers I'd been cursed with. That was until I decided to put my abilities to good use. I'd possessed the bodies of entrepreneurs across the nation to become the millionaire I am today. Jack and Maddie had a baby named Daniel. And Jack's stupidity turned the fourteen year old boy into a half ghost human hybrid like myself. And time and time again Daniel had found ways to get past me and make a mockery out of me. And then I became mayor of Amity Park and have since kept my eye out for someone special who'd put away my archenemy for good. That's where you came in. You were the perfect person. Exceptional grades, perfect in every way possible. And your so called Danny Fenton is nothing but a fool. He is a boy who has done more harm than good, yet when he's Danny Phantom, people praise him and think of him as the hero this town needed. But I will not let him succeed. You will come with me." Y/N dropped the folder.

"I-I trusted you. You lied to me. You made me trust you. This has nothing to do with my intelligence. This is all a set up. Just...just get away from me..." Y/N's vision became blurry with angry tears as she backed away into the corner of his office.

This was all a lie. Everything was a lie. He didn't want to train her, he only wanted to use her. He fed her lies and pretended to care. "Don't make this harder on yourself. Let me show you who I really am." Y/N looked at him in fear, pupils dilating in pure terror.

The mayor before her changed from man to ghost. A silent scream escaped her lungs. He was the ghost in her dreams. The one that was chasing her in the sky. Quickly, Y/N pulled her phone out to call Danny. Her hand shook as she pressed the call button.

The phone picked up on the first ring. "Y/N?"

"Danny, I'm scared. The mayor, h-he—" Vlad snatched the phone from her and held it to his ear.

She saw the points of his teeth as he smirked. "Hello, Daniel. I'm afraid Y/N can't talk right now, we have some business to attend to."

"Don't touch her! If you do anything to hurt her, I'll kill you. You hear me? I'll fucking kill you!"

"You won't do anything that'll put your damsel into trouble. I'm sure you don't want anything bad to happen to her. As much as I'd love to continue this conversation, we have work to do. And I'd rather get that out of the way. Goodbye, Daniel." Then he hung up.

He raised up his hand and shot Y/N with a plasma blast, knocking Y/N off her feet. She banged her forehead on the edge of the desk, the action knocking her out cold onto the linoleum floor.