Chapter Five // The Golden Envelope

"Y/N's parents had woken her up at five o'clock in the morning. She sat up in her bed and rubbed her eyes groggily. "Mom? Dad?" She reached for her cellphone and turned it on. There were three miss calls from both her parents.

"Sweetie...why didn't you answer your phone?" Her mother asked, sitting on the edge of Y/N's bed.

"I-I must of fallen asleep. I don't even remember going to bed." Y/N opened her eyes all the way and glanced back and forth from both adults in the room.

"We tried contacting you. That must explain why you didn't answer us. Sorry, we were worried, that's all." Both of her parents nodded.

"Well, I can't go back to sleep now. I guess I should get up, get an early start on the day." Y/N said, sliding off her bed. She grabbed her phone. "I'm going to get a bowl of cereal." She walked downstairs and into the living room. Y/N was still tired and it didn't help with the nightmare she had that night.

It was the same nightmare she'd had for the past few months. Y/N wasn't sure what the nightmare meant and she wasn't sure she even wanted to know.

The nightmare started out like this: She was running in an endless forest, pushing her way through leaves and branches. She was running and running, except it wasn't her. She was someone different with white hair and red eyes. Hair stuck to the back of her neck. And instead of running like she thought she was, she was flying. She was flying so high that she forgot about what she was trying to escape from. She knew she was escaping the clutches of a ghost, someone much stronger than a human girl such as herself. He'd looked at her wickedly with a wide grin. His teeth were so sharp that she'd almost mistaken him for a vampire. The ghost had said her name so kindly that it almost sounded endearing. It was the kind of voice you could trust. It was the kind of voice she would trust if he were someone else. And not some ghost that was enjoying the chase. She'd tried to make a quick getaway and he was chasing her. And when she'd dropped from the sky like a flying star you were supposed to wish upon, she'd wake up before she had the chance to see herself fall into the dark shadow casted upon her. Her heart would race and she'd felt sweat trickle down her neck. She would be breathing hard and would not stop until she was able to calm herself down.

And they happened every. Single. Night. When Y/N walked into the kitchen, the first thing she noticed was a white envelope embroidered around the edges on the envelope. What was this thing?

Y/N picked up the enevope. She glanced at her name that was on the invitation, written in cursive with her home address in the corner.

Carefully, Y/N opened up the envelope and pulled out an ivory colored card. Her name was ingraved in gold.

Dear Y/N L/N,

It is my absolute pleasure to cordially invite you to participate in an upcoming event being held with the Mayor of Amith Park. Your exceptional grades and academic achievements in school have made you the perfect candidate for new opportunities that are available. You and ten other young children of Amity Park will get this once in a lifetime opportunity. There is a list of the things you will need to get in order to get you prepared for the banquet this Saturday. It isn't optional. You must participate. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely, Mayor Vlad Masters.

The mayor had sent Y/N a letter. She reread the words on the page in total disbelief. She wasn't exactly sure why the mayor would think of sending her something so sudden.

Y/N's mother noticed the letter in her hands. "Sorry, Sweetie. We just forgot to give that to you yesterday. What is it?"

"It's a letter from the mayor. And there's a banquet this Saturday that says I have to go to." Y/N said and her mother grabbed the letter from her daughter's hand.

"This is amazing, sweetheart! I'm so proud of you. And it's quite the honor to meet the mayor." Y/N's mother looked up at her with a grin. It says you need to wear a dress. I can take you shopping later!"

Y/N let out a small groan and turned her head. "I'm going to get ready for school."

The letter in Y/N's backpack was wedge in between the pages of her biology text book. Her mother had bugged her all the way to school.

It wasn't as if Y/N wanted to attend that banquet and she had no interest in meeting the mayor. She just wanted to live her life without any interferences. But life was funny like that. There were always something in the way, something that would try to break her down.

People stared at her as she trailed down the locker filled halls. Dash was at her locker, leaning against it casually. Y/N sighed disappointingly. "Dash...Why are you at my locker."

"Y/N. I'm not taking no for an answer. I'll treat you right and we can be together. We'll be the most popular couple in Casper High."

"Is this about the winter formal? I already told you I don't want to go with you. I'm not even going to show up." Y/N was stressed because Dash kept pestering her for the past two days about the stupid winter formal.

"I can talk to your parents."

"This isn't courtship, we're not in the eighteenth century. I'm not going with you. You can forget it." Dash glared at her.

"Your mom and dad like me. I'll ask them to take you and you'll have to go with me. Cause honestly, you're missing out. And I'm a way better guy to hang around than Fenton is." Y/N watched him storm off.

Y/N continued her way towards her geometry class. There would be no one would be around to bother her.

Danny had gotten the same letter as Y/N did. It was from Vlad and he didn't know what it meant.

Vlad was planning something but he couldn't figure it out. He had no academic achievements. He was terrible with school and Vlad knew that.

This Saturday was supposed to be movie night, but he had to go. He needed to go. He was going to figure out Vlad's problem.

Now he was sitting with his friends. "I got the same thing." Tucker said, throwing his letter on the lunch table.

"Me too." Sam threw hers down on top of Tucker's.

"Vlad's up to something. Something doesn't seem right. And I'm going to get to the bottom of it."

"Hey, Danny." Danny turned his head to meet Y/N's gaze. She looked at him for a second before glancing over to the table where the golden invitations sat. "You guys got one too?" She said.

Danny quirked a brow. This had to be a trick. Even Y/N had an invitation to this supposed banquet. He knew no good would come from whatever Vlad was planning. "Uh...yeah,"

"That's funny. I was just about to tell you that I couldn't go to the movies this weekend. But it looks like we're all going to go to the same thing." Y/N smiled with her lips curved. "My mother's taking me dress shopping this afternoon." She looked at Sam. "Maybe you should tag along, Sam."

Sam only shrugged her shoulders, obtaining a fork full of lettuce. "I guess. Beats going with my mom."

"Great. I'll text my mother to let her know I'm bringing along a friend. See ya guys later." Y/N turned to Danny. "Stay cool, Danny." Then she turned and left.