17 - lucky

When I got home, my phone had 6 missed calls and Calum kept on calling. I finally answered but didn't say anything.

"Ester?" Calum's voice rang through the phone. It hurt to hear his voice so sad. 

"Ester I don't know if you're listening but I really want to talk to you.." Calum said. "Look, I know I messed up. I went like two weeks not talking to you guys and i shouldn't have done that. I shouldn't have put her first. You guys are my friends and you guys have been there for me a lot and I wasn't there for you... I wish I could take it back and I wish I could get you guys to forgive me but it's hard. I know. It's just, Kasey can be really clingy sometimes and we're working on our diffrences right now. I want you guys to meet her. She's a really cool girl and i how you see her the way I do..."

I stayed silent. I wish he saw how I saw him.. I wish he knew how I felt because things would be so much easier. 

"Ester, you have been my friend this whole year and in that year you've done more for me than you think. If we aren't friends.. I don't know what I would do. I just want you to know you're never going to lose me. I'l always be here for you. Even if you're so fucking pissed off at me that you want to shred me into a million pieces." 

I tried to hold it in but I giggled at the last part. 

"See, there's that laugh i've been waiting for." He sounded happy. "But seriously, i'll always be there for you. I know I've said that before but its true. Sometimes i'm going to mess up. But I will always come back and try to get your forgivness. I'm sorry for being a douche. Goodnight Ester Murphy."

"Goodnight Calum Hood" I said and I got a little chuckle. 

He hung up and I had a lot to think about. Should I forgive him? Will this get in the way of how I feel? I'll have to sit and watch him with Kasey and I'd rather scoot out my eyeballs multiple times. It wouldn't be as bad at that. 

––––––––––––––––––––––

Calum came up to us at school with Kasey walking next to him.

"Hey Cal" I smiled. I tried not to make it obvious that I didn't like her being here. It wasn't my place to do so. 

"You guys wanna go get something to eat?" Calum asked.

"Sure" Michael agreed. 

Everyone cleared what was in the air after the game. Things were back to the way they were except for the fact that Sariah and Luke were not together and Kasey was now apart of our group. That left Michael and I.

That gave Michael and I more time to get closer. While they two couples did their thing, we were always left to be the ones to sit next to eachother, we shared things, and we made fun of the rest of them. 

That's exactly what happened when we went to go get pizza. We just watched what they did and imitated it. We got a crack out of it and always ended up laughing as hard as we could. We always get glares from Calum and I could tell he was jealous. I didn't blame him. We were technically closer than Michael and I were. But that was a while ago. I would have to say now we're about eaqual with how close I am to Michae and how close I am to Calum.

My phone started to ring and i saw Stevens name on my phone. He barley had the chance to call so when he did I didn't pass it up.

As soon as I answered, I filled him in on the drama and everything that's happened since he left.

"Are you okay?" Steven asked. "Do I have to come over to kick his ass?" 

"No!" I giggled "Michael and I have been spending a lot of time together." I looked across the table to Michael who smiled at me.

"And???" Steven asked "Do you like him?" 

"No!" I protested "We just act like a couple to make fun of the others."

"But you like it." Steven assumed.

"You suck." I sighed.

"Oh god, think about it!!!" Steven squeeled making me pull the phone away from my ear. "It was always the best friend and you didn't even know" 

"Funny" I rolled my eyes. Now that he said it, it would be kind of cute but I still had feelings for Calum. Even if I did have feelings for Mike, it wouldn't be the same and that wouldn't be fair to him. I couldn't do that because Calum's still always on my mind and I still hate tat Kasey is around us. 

"Hey babe" Michael called to me. "Can I talk to Steven" 

"Sure" I handed the phone to him. 

"Are you trying to steal my girlfriend?" Michael said seriously. It was kind of hot the way he said it.

I laughed and heard Steven's now muphled voice and Michael smiled.

"She is pretty great, isn't she?" Michael looked me directley in the eye and I got butterflies. I wasn't sure what that meant though. Did I like Michael? Or Michael's attention?

I thought it was funny that I used to hate Michael. He was too forward with me and annoying but now we're so close and I love that about us. I love that about my whole group of friends. I didn't know what I would do if I hadn't met them. I would be alone because Steven would be gone. 

I was lucky. Even if the boy i'm head over heals with is right in front of me with another girl.