11 - ice cream

The cab came and we went to a local ice cream shop. I got a scoop of ice cream in a bowl and Calum got three scoops.

We sat down after Calum payed and he smirked at me, not touching his ice cream.

"Are you going to eat that or stare at me?" I asked, pointing with my pink spoon.

"Are you going to tell me why I make you nervous?" He smiled.

I can't just tell him that I now have this huge crush on him when I barley know anything about him.

"Nope" I said and put a spoon full of ice cream in my mouth. 

"You were freaking out kinda bad back at the dance." He teased me.

"Your ice cream will melt." I changed the subject, trying not to smile.

"See and now you're changing the subject, because i'm making you nervous" He chuckled.

"I didn't mean to say it..." I admitted. "You can't blame me. I was having a panick attack."

"Yes, I realize that... but why?" He questioned me and finally picked up his spoon.

"Because I've never been so close to someone like you" I told him.

"What do you mean someone like me?" 

"Calum, my only friend before this school year started was Steven. I had no intrest in being friends with anyone let alone you, Luke, or Michael. You guys are popular. I'm not. You guys are cool. I'm not. I was just thinking that i'm way out of my league. I don't just got way in over my head. Thats all."

"You're afraid we wont want to be friends with you later." He pulled the words right out of my mind. I stayed quiet but i'm sure my expression said it all. He was completely right.

"Ester, you're a really really cool girl." He assured me. "Yes you might not have had a lot of friends but we're not going anywhere soon and honestly, we should be worried about you not being friends with us anymore because we're such idiots. Think about it. I threw you in my pool and you're here eating ice cream with me."

"Yes, thank you for that by the way. I haven't gone for a dip in a while." I rolled my eyes.

"You're quite welcome." He smiled. I just giggled because he was such a dork.

Calum's phone started to buzz. He pulled it out of his pocket and the name Mikey flashed on his phone.

"Michael" he said as a greeting. I heard a faint voice, almost woried.

"We left, Ester was having a panick attack so I called a cab." 

"Some creep was bugging her and getting in her space."

"I didn't either but we're okay now. We're getting ice cream." 

"Yeah" Calum laughed and I was wondering what the other person was saying.

"Shut up, I do not!" Calum denied something. 

"Goodbye" He said and hung up.

"Michael and everyone else are on their way here." Calum told me.

"Is the dance over already?" I asked.

"almost, but they were bored so they were gona leave early and they couldn't find us." 

"You're right, we really didn't tell anyone we left." I giggled.

"It's okay, it was more fun that way" He smirked. "So you never told me why I make you nervous." He reminded me.

"Oh darn" I pouted and shrugged. I was just trying to be difficult.

It took the gang a while to get to the shop. In that time Calum and I talked about everything that was anything. We never had nothing to talk about. It was so nice because all this time I thought I'd never get along with someone like him and he's one of the easiest people to talk to that i've ever met.

We had a lot in common and we agreed on mostly everything we talked about. He didn't tell me anything to personal but he did open up about what he really enjoys and that was good enough for me. I could sit and talk to him all night if I wanted to but unfortunetaly we were inturrupted by the group coming in.

"Woah, woah, woah, sorry to intturupt your guy's date!" Luke said with his arm around Sariah. 

"Not a date" I reminded them just so Calum wouldn't feel weird. Calum's expression changed and then went back to normal. 

"No offence" I added, directing it to Calum. 

"Don''t worry about it" He smiled. 

"Smurph, why didn't you warm me that you might have a panick attack?" Steven asked. "You're aware you get them so why didn't you let everyone know? There were a lot of people.."

"I'm sorry I can't tell the future. I'm not sure when every panick attack will hit Steve." I said with a lot of attitude, clearly annoyed.

"Steve?" Sariah laughed.

"She calls me Steve when she's mad because I hate it." He huffed.

I sat there angry because I hated when Steven acted like my parent.

The rest of the night I stayed quiet. I started to get more and more embarassed at the fact that I had a panick attack and it was because of Calum. 

I didn't really want to pay attention to the conversation so I sort of closed my eyes and drownded them out.

"Ester?" Someone tapped me on the shoulder.

"Hhm?" I mumbled.

"We're leaving now" It was Michael. He sounded amused. I opened my eyes and the rest of the group was out the door and getting in their cars. 

"You fell alseep" He chuckled. "C'mon, i'll take you home." 

––––––––

The ride home was scilent at first. I wanted to say something, I just wasn't sure what.

"Michael, i'm sorry..." I admitted to him.

"For what??" He asked.

"For leaving you, that was so not cool..." I sighed.

"Don't worry about it Murphy." He told me. He sounded genuin but I still felt bad.

"Really though, leaving, even just to go dance with Calum.. it wasn't fare. You were my date." I told him "It seemed like a good idea at the time and you insisted.. I just feel really bad."

"Ester, I had so much fun tonight, it was crazy. We sat and talked for an hour and we didn't dance at all. I've never had this much fun at a dance... and the past few years i've gone dancing." He told me. "It was fine and you seemed to have googly eyes over Calum so I was fine with it. Don't apologize again or i'll have to kill you. I have a spot in my back yard for dead bodies."

I giggled at his jokes and just let it be. Once I got home, He walked me to the door, gave me a hug and left once I got in.

I got out of my dress and threw an old t-shirt on. 

As soon as I fell on the bed, I crashed.