04 - close up

The air was colder than expected. A saturday morning soccer game wasn't exactly my cup of tea, but I wouldn't be doing anything else for the remainder of the day so this was my only way to get out and do something productive with my life.

I knew I was going to have to get some pictures anyways.

I parcked my car in the school parking lot and stepped out into the cold air. It was turning to the usual southern California fall which meant it would be cold for about a week and it would rain for a weekend and then the rest of the school year would be 75° or higher. 

I couldn't complain though. That was my favorite part about california: the weather.

The walk to the feild wasn't the best. The grass was wet and it was kind of muddy. Not exactly the best way to make me come back. It got my old black Vans dirty.

I walked towards bleachers where supporting parents sat, ready to watch their son play against some team I had never heard of. I took a seat at the end of the bleachers where no one sat. My camera hun around my neck and I scanned my surroundings. 

"Is that Ester Murphy?" A some-what familiar voice asked. I turned to see that Michael Clifford kid walking up to join me. He sat down next to me and smiled.

"How ya been?" He asked. He had the same accent that Calum and Luke had. I thought it was ironic that they all came to the same place. So many Aussies at once.

"I've been alright." I nodded. I didn't really look at him, I just kept watching the feild with players that were ready for the game to start.

"So are you knew to this school or something?" He asked.

"No.. I've gone here all four years." I told him.

"Oh..." That made him shut up a bit and I was glad. "I mean, I didn't really know a lot of people when I came here from Australia. So that's probably why I've never met you."

And because I have no friends I recited in my mind.

"Oh" I nodded.

"You're quiet." He stated the obvious.

"Wow, we have a genious on out hands" I said with as dry of a tone as I could.

"Are you here to get pictures of Calum?" He asked. I didn't answer, I finally turned my attention to him and looked straight into his faded green eyes.

"You ask a lot of questions." I informed him.

"Is that a bad thing?" He laughed "I'm just trying to get to know you" He shrugged.

"You're right" I agreed "You just talk a lot. That's all."

We sat in scilence for a minute and the game started.

"But to answer your question: Yes." I told him "I'm here to get pictures of him. But not just him. There are other people on this earth besides Calum Hood." I reminded him.

I was impressed with how well I was handling this situation. I wanted so badly to get up and leave. I wanted to be by myself but I didn't have the guts to do that. Michael stated that he wanted to get to know me so i'm taking my sisters advice and I'm "living a little." I was going to come with Steven but he ended up not being able to go. He said he had some kind of interview? 

I started to snap some pictures of the team. I got a lot of good shots of peoples backs. I got a few of Luke and a few of Calum, but there weren't a lot of oportunities to get any good ones. He was always surrounded by the other team. There were a few that he was all by himself with the ball, but those were the only decent shots I got. I wasn't used to taking pictures of sports.